Wrist mount or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"In addition to still diving with the analog, I'm using a Timex Helix as a backup for depth and bottom timer. The aspect of not having a bottom timer on the ReAct is odd to me. Or am I missing something?"

Ron[/QUOTE]

Ron:

On your Helix, which dive mode do you use for multiple dive days? I know the timer is supposed to stop when you get to 5' of depth, but what about the SI? Do you have to manually start a timer to calculate SI or does it track it automatically? I bought one a couple of weeks ago and diving with it for the first time tomorrow, maybe it's just me; but I would have the thought the user manual would be a little more informative?!

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Tennessee

TX101:
I have both.. AI console and wrist mount. (and depth timer)

To the people who mount their computer on their right wrist.. what do you do when you are ascending on a reel/smb? You have to hold the reel in your left hand and turn the reel with your right. You can't see the computer on your right hand if you do this.

Most people over here wear their computer on their left wrist because of this.. You can hold the reel and reel up while looking at the computer. If you need to adjust buoyancy, you have to swap hands.. but it gets easier once you have practiced it a few times.

i wear my comp on my right wrist because it is easier than adjusting bouyancy with my left hand and trying to look at my computer while it is above my head(if dumping air) or 6 inches from my face(if adding air). when ascending on a line that is fixed ie anchor line, i turn my right hand thumbs down when i need to hold the line so i can still see the computer.

just how i do it. . .

John

TX101:
To the people who mount their computer on their right wrist.. what do you do when you are ascending on a reel/smb? You have to hold the reel in your left hand and turn the reel with your right. You can't see the computer on your right hand if you do this.

What a silly question. Do you not stop spinning the reel from time to time as you ascend? Very easy to glance at your wrist then, no? Also, I don't even look at the thing unless it starts beeping. Beep = too fast No beep? No problem!
Can you believe that i can have a big dual strobe camera in my left hand, a reel and SMB in my right, whilst drifting along in a 5 knot current?
Magic eh?

Besides, i can't stand wearing watch or computer or anything on my left wrist...and to make matters more difficult, i wear it with the face on the inside of my wrist.

Mike Veitch:
Also, I don't even look at the thing unless it starts beeping. Beep = too fast No beep? No problem!

How do you know when you have reached your first deco stop?

MY01SHADOW:
"In addition to still diving with the analog, I'm using a Timex Helix as a backup for depth and bottom timer. The aspect of not having a bottom timer on the ReAct is odd to me. Or am I missing something?"

Ron

Ron:

On your Helix, which dive mode do you use for multiple dive days? I know the timer is supposed to stop when you get to 5' of depth, but what about the SI? Do you have to manually start a timer to calculate SI or does it track it automatically? I bought one a couple of weeks ago and diving with it for the first time tomorrow, maybe it's just me; but I would have the thought the user manual would be a little more informative?!

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Tennessee[/QUOTE]

++++++++++++++++++++++

Mike:

It's very manual. After a dive, it stops timing and displays max depth and dive time. It's not a computer in that it calculates min. SI. If you want to set a precise min. SI, you would need to use your tables to figure it out and then watch your time or set the count down timer on the watch.

Yeah, I know this idea bites to most of us, but keep in mind that this in nothing more than a bottom timer. Po' man's computer.

And on multiple dive days, you will need to reset the dive tracking mode so you can track your additional dives. So remember, it doesn't calculate NDLs or SI times, but it does help you keep track of your dive while you're diving and after the dive.

It's been a while since I've read the manual, but I have about 75 dives on mine.

Hope this helps,

I use both a console and a wrist mount. Started off with just the console, but later found that I didn't like having to keep flipping the console over to monitor air and check my computer. So I added a wrist mount to my setup. I kept the console computer as a backup, since I still have my compass and SPG on there. As for fear of losing a writst mounted computer, don't worry. There are after-market straps that you can buy that will preven the loss of the computer in the event of a broken pin. You would need BOTH pins to break to loose the computer.

J.

My primary computer is on my wrist. My back-up computer, spg, & compass is on my console that is attached to a strong retractor (hasn't dragged yet).

TX101:
How do you know when you have reached your first deco stop?

Deco stop? Rarely. Even when i know i have one coming up, i said its not hard to stop reeling in the SMB to have a quick glance at the computer

Mike Veitch:
Deco stop? Rarely. Even when i know i have one coming up, i said its not hard to stop reeling in the SMB to have a quick glance at the computer

I initally asked beause 90% of serious divers in this country put their depth timer on their left wrist. You see, most of the population need two hands for reeling - obviously you simply hang your camera off your large head in your 5 knot current.

I have both. One one left (d-timer), one on right(computer). It's about oh... a million times easier to look at the left one so that's the one I look at. You're right.. it's not hard to look at the right one either but looking at your left you can watch your depth while reeling .. it's magic!

FyrFytr:
As a new diver I am looking to get my first set of equipment. After reading through a lot of threads I have decided that a computer is the way to go. I know that I am asking personal preferences, but I was wondering what people thought about getting one set in the gague console versus wearing it on your wrist.

Thanks in advance :cheers:

As a fairly new diver myself, I recently went with a wrist mount when I bought my first set and am very happy I did. I have found it very easy to transition to from the console. (FWIW, 34 dives with console computer, 24 with wrist mount.) I find it easier to refer to than a console. As my hands become more task loaded with lights and reels, not having to reach for a console seems to be better for me.

I wear mine on my right wrist with a compass on the left and SPG on left hip. The most difficult issue is getting my compass thru the the harness. I am trying to get a consistent pattern of gearing up (and down) and am leary of clipping the compass off to the BC and putting it on (then taking it off) after donning the BC. So, I am trying to get smooth at getting it thru the straps. But that is the only issue I have found. As mentioned, I, too, like having the computer with me on SI's, too. Downloading to a PDA and planning, etc.

So, my personal preference is definitely wrist.

Back
Top Bottom