wrist mounted dive computer or attached?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After buying and trying both, I like a standard console with compass and a wrist mount computer. I am now kicking myself for not getting a computer with an electronic compass and AI capability. This would supply redundancy and ease of use.

Its going to be difficult explaining to the wife why the computer I bought last summer is not enough.

I am on my second computer wishing I had put a little more thought and money into the initial purchases. Would have saved money in the long run.

Last edited:
After buying and trying both, I like a standard console with compass and a wrist mount computer. I am now kicking myself for not getting a computer with an electronic compass and AI capability. This would supply redundancy and ease of use.

Its going to be difficult explaining to the wife why to computer I bought last summer is not enough.

I am on my second computer wishing I had put a little more thought and money into the initial purchases. Would have saved money in the long run.

Better to buy two at once and take all your lashings up front than to go back to the well after she's had time to learn new tactics ;-)

I've never really cared for AI computers, seen too many of them fail. Seems they're more reliable these days in general though. I really like wrist computers, and it'd be handy to be able to see the air at the same time, but I'd want a backup computer and SPG on every dive if I had an AI computer.

I use an air integrated Galileo Luna wrist mounted computer with a simple brass & glass SPG. I have never had a problem with pairing or loosing signal but as a backup I have a separate SPG. I had an Oceanic Pro Plus console and it worked great but I love having all the info easily viewed on my wrist and is great for deco or safety stops. I added a bungee on my Galileo Luna as extra safety so I will never lose it if the band breaks but this is unlikely because the band is very robust. I like the large screen because it is easy to read. It is great to download dives wirelessly to my computer.

I might be the only one here to recommend air integ wrist computer. They are fantastic IMO, I did my ow and few dives after my course with a spg and found it annoying to look down at it everytime. With mine it's all on wrist, so easy to use, I open the tank with regs attached and turn computer on it already tells me how much air left. Suunto vyper air also has compass, very handy. I hear people don't like because its wireless and can fail but I've used on 20 dives so far, no problems yet.
Go for a air int wrist computer! I got it second hand for $500. Great deal considering what you get.

I tried to look though these pages for a similar thread feel free to link or re-post.

I just got my open-water certification and I for sure want an air-integrated computer. I would really like YOUR opinion as to what is better/easier to dive with.Or what YOU feel the pro's and cons of each are. A wrist-mounted dive watch (I was looking at the Suunto D4i or D6) or an attached system (like the Atomic Cobalt. (yes I know these are very different, I just dont know where to concentrate my looking)

thanks for your help!

Natkins:blinking:

Natkins,

I see you just finished your OW and that “for sure” you want an air-integrated computer. You are looking at both styles wrist-mounted or consul style.

Here is my advice to you:
  1. In your Open Water course you learned how to use dive tables…don’t abandon that knowledge. I wise dive told me once to plan your dive with the tables, write down your plan and put it in your pocket. Then you compare your dive computer’s data with the dive plan. The more I thought about his advice, the more I realized I had been relying upon my dive computer way too much for my safety and not on my training. The dive computer should be an aid and not a crutch…paradigm shift for me as I was relying upon the modern technological piece of electronics to tell me basic dive parameters without thinking what goes into the dive.
  2. Air-intregrated computers…awesome tools. But wrist-mounted or consul. I have both, so it gets down to personal preference or comfort. The wrist mounted computer is AI and is very handy to dive with. With a flick of my wrist I can see the critical data…I love that. For me the weak link in an AI wrist-mounted system are the batteries. I went almost two years on the factory batteries then havoc struck. Remember havoc is a natural means for Murphy to implement his laws of the universe. The night before a dive when you check your equipment everything will be fine; but once aboard your dive boat or after a long walk to the shore, Murphy (who I am sure is in cahoots with my ex-wife) will inflict his will and one or both batteries will be dead. If your dive computer and/or transmitter has operator changeable batteries take a few extra with you. If your LDS needs to change the batteries do so often.
  3. Electronics are nice … but can fail. Keep a SPG and a multi-functional tool with your dive kit. If any component of the AI dive computer fails, ascend to the surface and change out the AI system and replace it with your back-up SPG. This has saved me two dive trips…but I still love the cool AI systems, I just have a back-up plan.
  4. Dive Computer - get one that is easy to use. My first AI wrist-mounted dive computer was the Aeris Epic and after 50+ dives I still cannot tell you how to use the darn thing without the instruction manual, which is about the size of the Yellow Pages phone book. I now use as my main Dive Computer the Atomic Cobalt … and I just love it. This thing is so easy to use that I read the manual once and was able to navigate through the different menus with no difficulties. I still use the Aeris Epic on my wrist and compare the two computers while diving. I am looking to replace my Aeris with either a Suunto D Series or possible a Galileo Sol (the Galileo is huge, so easy to see, but seems like a big-screen tv on my arm…the jury is still out on this one.)
  5. There are many media outlets to watch and learn about dive computers. I was considering the Galileo Sol for a wrist computer and on YouTube I found quite a few videos which I found very helpful. Another source is a website/company called Dive Computer Training, Dive Computer Training . For a few dollars you can take an on-line class on your desired computer. $5-6 is much better than $500-600+ only to learn it is not what you want. DCT even has a video on “How to Choose a Dive Computer” Dive Computer Training . And of course you have good ol’ Scubaboard…but you already knew that one.:acclaim:
  6. Choose a dive computer that matches what you think will be your diving style…are you going to do mostly recreational dives, do a lot of photography, venture into the realm of tec-diving. Wrist-mounted dive computers are definitely nice to keep your hands free for other things such as photography. But most rec-divers will keep their hands clasped together and streamline their diving profile. I have seen some “hold” their consuls instead. This keeps the gauges handy and their hands out of the way...Rember no touchy the coral...:no:
I hope my takeaway to you is don’t rush into one system or another right away. And do not let some salesperson “fast talk” you into something. Technology is to the point that you should be able to understand the basic operational functions of the dive computer before you ever leave the store. Look and learn...

I can tell you from personal experience if you decide upon consul, the Atomic Cobalt would be a great fit for you. It is very easy to use and incredible intuitive. I little pricey, but I think darn well worth it. I love mine and could not be any more happier with it. Now I am looking into a replacement for my Areis (wrist-mount DC).

There is a lot to be said for simplicity...but gizmos and gadgets are fun and diving is suppose to be fun...:banana::banana::banana:

Good luck and happy diving.
:wave:

~Michael~

Last edited:
I have a wrist computer and SPG with depth gauge; as my computer isn't back-lit I sometimes find the gauges easier to read at depth (worth bearing in mind!).

I'd trust "simple" over "electronic" any day. Batteries can fail at any time, for any reason or none. My advice would be to keep it simple, spend on what you really need not on what you think looks nice or might be fun to have, and you'll have more money to spend on your actual diving. People used to dive with just a watch and dive tables - you don't need all the gizmos, you just need to know what you're doing :wink:

I'd trust "simple" over "electronic" any day...keep it simple, spend on what you really need not on what you think looks nice or might be fun to have...

I agree 85% with Greyhound and would trust a simple SPG or most electronic devices...but that is just showing my age. With as many out of work Lawyers as we have these days, I feel pretty confident that the electronics the diving industry produces are very high quality. Anything...ANYTHING, man-made can fail. Whether it is due to human error, material fatigue, poor craftsmanship, inadequate design, etc...if humans made it, it will fail at some time. Mr. Murphy will see to that.

But not to buy something because it might be fun to have...No way Jose. :shocked2: To me diving is suppose to be fun; otherwise I would call it work. I enjoy my work, but when I dive I want to have fun...I WANT TO HAVE FUN DIVING! :yeahbaby:

So when people like me buy products like the Atomic Cobalt Dive computer, it is not because we have analyized to merits of the latest new-fangled toy vs. the tried-n-true value of simplicity...it is because somewhere in our psyche we have determined that they will enhance our pleasue when diving. And from the very first time I dove with the Cobalt...I LOVED IT (can't say the same for my SPG). :love3:I am not fortunate enought to get to go diving but every so often. So when I go I want to maximize my "Fun".

In the original post the author stated that they want a AI dive computer...wrist mounted or consul style. To me I took it that they want to enhance their diving experiences with this technology. Wrist-mounted or consul...I still hold firm to my post...tailor the equipment to your perfered dive style and what makes you comfortable.

~ME~

Back
Top Bottom