wrist mounted dive computer or attached?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Understood.

Redundancy is more important when you are doing your yearly Once-in-a-Life dive trip, Tec dives or just have the desire to stay U/W in the unlikely event of a failure.

I have never used an AI computer and see no reason to start now. My current back up computer is an Oceanic Veo 200. My primary computer consists of my brain, an OMS bottom timer, and tables with my SPG.

Ideal Redundancy!

Why not have two Hoseless Air-Integrated dive computers each with their own transmitters that can also be paired to both computers?

We use two Galileo Sols for situations where we have the need or the desire to stay down.

I like the redundancy...currently I run the Atomic Cobalt and use an AI wrist-mounted DC...back on board I have a SPG in my kit for a spare.

It works for me and I have fun with it.

Wrist mounted computer and simple SPG.

On one dive weekend last August two of my buddies had their Air Integrated computers crap out, one IIRC Aladdin Galileo, the other a less bells and whistle type Air Intergated. Both were newer models. The result for them was less dives. The result for me was to confirm how great a simple SPG is.

Question: Which has a higher rate of failure a SPG or a transmitter?

I sure you may have felt different if Murphy had chosen to play games with your SPG!

Beavers I agree on the once in a life time dive, I just may take the extran couple of minutes to attach my back up SPG if I was doing a dive like that.

I have had my Aries T3 for 2 or 3 years now and no failures. I had a console SPG go bad on me once, actually the connection started leaking, HP leak made me pucker. Personal belief based on no real data I would think that the wireless system would fail more often. Both rates of failure are very very low though. One way to think about it though is if you are using both you have an extra point of possible failure.

Now that I have a Datamask, Everything is right in front of me. I don't even have to move my arms, I just glance down moving only my eyes. I have a BUD and a watch with a depth gauge. If the Datamask fails, I abort the dive, then when on the surface I get the SPG out of the dive gear bag and put it on in place of the transmitter. Didn't even need to buy an SPG I had one from the first set of gear I bought. (my mistake, should have gone for the Datamask to begin with). Now it is used the way I like it, as a backup/Save a dive. Then I go on the next dive. No problem. There is no training necessary to ascend without a working SPG. I see no reason to go back to a console with SPG and depth gauge or running another hose to an SPG I wouldn't use except as a backup.

dmoore, I guess you are not a MOF diver :)

I lost a wrist mounted one off my arm while taking off my BC in the water to hand to the crew. How embarrassing!
The replacement computer I bought I had mounted to retractor so I can hook that onto my BC. No more wrist mounts for me.

Question: Which has a higher rate of failure a SPG or a transmitter?

I sure you may have felt different if Murphy had chosen to play games with your SPG!

I think it is principally based on personal choice and quite frankly notwithstanding which route somebody elects to go, as long as the individual brings some form of back-ups and is well prepared to handle whatever failure(s) he/she may get from the equipment he/she is using then it is a non-issue.

Personally I prefer having separate simple items rather than one gadget that does it all just because I feel that once said gadget/tool goes for whatever reason (frequency vs severity of consequence...basic risk management) then you risk losing it all and at the least convenient moment.

Let's use the following example...WOW...I have just acquired a wrist mounted AI dive computer with integrated compass...just look at how simple diving has become....YES....that is until this one time in a blue moon that the gadget decides to stop working for whatever reason. When it does, you could very well have lost the DC functions and the watch function and the SPG function and the compass function. Granted All these things could be non issues for the experienced and well prepared divers assuming that diving conditions allows thumbing the dive on the spot, if compass nav was required, number 2 also has a compass and knows how to use it, number 2 has a DC of some sort (depth, NDL and time functions (yours looks like a watch, so you may not be wearing a separate watch) and you have an idea what was your residual PSI ...and when you did check it, and you have spares and tools topside to allow you to regain some of those capabilities that you require before the next dive.

But this is you...the experienced diver, not the beginner diver falling in the bracket 0 - 24 dives. How many of the latter category carry tools, spares (SPG, hoses, DC, watch, compass), and are comfy assembling/disassembling hoses from 1st/2nd stages, etc? ...and we have not addressed any skills of the individual yet. That is my word of caution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom