Wrist vs watch style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dir1.jpg
This is the way we configure a back inflate BC, or a typical bp/wing bc.
See the LACK of a console? The pressure gauge is clipped to the left waiste D ring....it CAN NOT drag on the bottom. It can be read while clipped, or unclipped, and then read close to face.
The hoses stay snug to the body to prevent snagging on the bottom.

The longer you dive, the more likely you will run into a situation where you will find it desirable to get close to the bottom....when you do, the configuration ideas of this back inflate or bp/wing alternative to the traditional jacket may well become far more appealing to you.....Best advice, find a shop that will let you DEMO a back inflate, or better yet, a bp/wing system...."without" a console :)

It's entirely possible to tie a bolt snap to an SPG/PDC console and clip it to the left hip D-ring like the DIR prescribed SPG placement. That works well for me, and there's nothing that dangles. At least not excessively :)

If you have a three-instrument console, like a SPG/PDC/compass combo I suspect the console would be a bit too long for that solution, though.

Agreed. I tend to exaggerate things to make a point, so I would be describing one of those really huge consoles :)

If you have a three-instrument console, like a SPG/PDC/compass combo I suspect the console would be a bit too long for that solution, though.

I have exactly this. An Aeris A300 XT 3-gauge console. It's my backup to my watch computer with wireless AI. Well, and it's my compass. I needed a compass and wanted a backup SPG. The price on the A300 XT was almost like getting the PDC for free.

I put a dog bone on it and clip it to my left side D-ring. It does not drag or dangle any more than just an SPG would.

I strongly suspect something like an Oceanic ProPlus 2.1 or similar would do just as well.

And, for that matter, during OW cert, my rental gear had a big ole' dangly 3-gauge console. And no clip. I ran it under my left arm and through/under the left shoulder strap. That held it close against my body and still let me turn it face up to read the gauges. Or pull it back out from under the shoulder strap to hold it out in front of me for navigating with the compass. Not really any harder to stow and deploy than clipping it to D-ring, really. And, again, no dangling or dragging.

Last edited:
my rental gear had a big ole' dangly 3-gauge console. And no clip. I ran it under my right arm and through/under the right shoulder strap.

I was under the impression that that was SOP with those contraptions. Or have I just been unusually lucky with my choice of instructors and dive mates?

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

2 gauge console can be clipped up just the same as a 2in SPG. I'm doing it right now for my Bp/W at work where we require an analog backup depth gauge.
The only difference is I tie off my boltsnap into the console and not the hose. Most of my console takes up space where the hose would if I were using a 2in SPG.

Ultimately if you want a console you can dive a console and be just as streamline if you know how to configure properly.

I am one of those dinosaurs who uses and prefers the console. My gauge console (with compass, is tethered to a d ring on my bcd with a strong retractor. It keeps the gauge and hose from dangling at all, yet allows me easy access and viewing. As between wrist and watch, I would go wrist, as recommended by many early posters in this thread. As to those who suggested that a bcd/ console diver like myslef cant"skim the bottom" to avoid current, they are just wrong. To each their own, as far as gear preference. JUst don't dangle, don't let your gear or yourself stir up or damage the environment.
DivemasterDennis

A console is fine, I used to clip my Oceanic PP2 to my right chest D ring using a strong retractor, worked just fine and was always readily available. There are many ways to configure acceptable equipment.

Tom, if you're going to spend that much, you might also consider the Oceanic Atom 3.0. If they still have them, Coral Edge is selling them for $555, and that's with the data cable and the wireless air pressure transmitter. If you don't want wireless air pressure, you can easily (I think) sell the transmitter for $150-200 (I think), and you'd be left with a (arguably) better/nicer computer AND a data cable for about the same money as either of those others without the data cable.

Looks like they are out of stock at this point. That would be a good deal.

The "DIR" method of clipping it off to the left D ring is great if it works for you (never did for me), also retractors if again the is your thing. I personally used to thread mine through the shoulder strap on my wing where it didn't dangle, or I've seen instructors teach to push it under the cumberbund of a BCD. As long as it's easy to reach and easy to read .
all solutions work

I don't think being negative about a bit of kit as it may dangle is right, I do take Dans point. If more people were taught and later guided into keeping their rigs neat all would be better in so many ways

Sorry, I tend to go "over the top" with some of my reactions on some types of questions.
The console may do the job for a diver that will NEVER want to be close to the bottom--and this may as well be divers using the jacket style BC's that have a lot hanging on them in the frontal area as well.

The kind of diving we do in south florida, will often put on on a coral bottom, or on a wreck, literally 6 inches off the bottom, in order to escape the effects of a strong current. A diver 3 feet off the bottom in the same area, gets blown away like a leaf in the wind. A diver that is totally flat horizontal, in low back back inflate or bp/wing style bc, with NO hoses or consoles hanging ( which IS the way these BC's are meant to be configured) , can get very close to the bottom, and NOT be snagged by things on the bottom....not be damaging the bottom or silting it.

The console is far more frequently found with the big bulky jacket style BC's, and very often, the console is on the end of a long hose, and is constantly dragging well below the diver. As you suggest, this would be much better if clipped off, but the whole issue of this type of jacket and console combo usually shows a diver that really can't get very close to the bottom without hooking on to things, and getting snagged on the bottom.

[video=youtube_share;dgdabfvr2B0]http://youtu.be/dgdabfvr2B0[/video]
If you start this video about 40 seconds into it, you will see a dive class that exemplifies everything bad about consoles, jacket bc's, and bad instructors that teach students on their knees( due to defective instruction skills or desire to run high volume for profit over quality of instruction) Later in the video, you see the problem with the octos and the consoles...

About 5 minutes in to this, you can see how the students wearing jacket BC's tend to swim at a near 45 degree angle--head up, feet down, so that their feet are constantly dropping down and often hitting the sand, even though their heads are several feet up above the bottom--and they feel like they are swimming well up above the bottom--and not even thinking about possibly hitting the bottom with their feet. This is called TRIM....when you are near the bottom, the diver should be flat horizontal ( as in the 2nd video below this). While it is possible for a jacket BC diver to have absolutely PERFECT TRIM, with some body types, this can become hard to accomplish, as the jacket style is not nearly as customizable for weighting and trim as the bp/wing styles are....And...even if you can get the perfect trim out of the jacket ( like good instructors will show with a jacket BC), you still have lots hanging down on your chest and torso area that sticks out and can/will snag the bottom--far more so than the MUCH CLEANER chest and torso bottom of the bp/wing or a good back inflate bc.
[video=youtube_share;kWrlXJ_EL_k]http://youtu.be/kWrlXJ_EL_k[/video]

In this video, my friend Errol is wearing a BP/wing style bc....while he happens to be using doubles, had he been wearing his single tank version of this for the recreational dive, he would have looked identical throughout the video, but with a narrower and smaller wing, and just one tank :) *** Note how close Errol swims next to the bottom, without silting the delicate muck or hydroid environments. This skill and gear configuration, is a big deal for photographers or video shooters, as well as it is for those exploring in places with currents, or minor penetration needs where you must be close to the bottom.

Why do instructors take classes to west side of bridge? One of the reasons why I never go on weekends.

Back
Top Bottom