Writing a Newsletter--Need some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think this is great! But I'd look for a way to make your column particularly interesting . . . See if you can go and DIVE the sites you are writing about. Then you can put up the factual information (directions, parking, depths, favorable conditions, etc.) and finish the column with "My dive there". That makes the column particularly relevant to the newer diver. And, if you solicit local divers to help you with your dive there, it will also make you a bunch of diving friends.

I think this is great! But I'd look for a way to make your column particularly interesting . . . See if you can go and DIVE the sites you are writing about. Then you can put up the factual information (directions, parking, depths, favorable conditions, etc.) and finish the column with "My dive there". That makes the column particularly relevant to the newer diver. And, if you solicit local divers to help you with your dive there, it will also make you a bunch of diving friends.

I second what Lynne said.

And if you want to do some diving up on the North Coast (above SF) let me know, or you can go to our website (in my signature) and join us for one of our monthly club dives.
We need more written articles about the fantastic diving up here.

I second what Lynne said.

And if you want to do some diving up on the North Coast (above SF) let me know, or you can go to our website (in my signature) and join us for one of our monthly club dives.
We need more written articles about the fantastic diving up here.

Sounds great! And I would love to especially in the Summer! If you have any sites in particular you want to see talked about? I went to your website and it is a great idea that you guys have, Maybe I could do like features...like featuring these diver(s) in each issue....

Definitely, that would be ideal I agree. If possible I will try and write about the ones that I have dove already and try to dive some new sites.

When you write your column, you can revisit the same site with an emphasis on a particular spot at the the site and/or purpose of the dive. Breakwater for example: you can dive 1) the wall 2) middle reef 3) the barge 4) mertridiums 5) pipes (toward hidden beach). Each dive is worthy of an experience dive article. Seasons change the purpose of the dive, the last couple of months involved dodging sea nettles--how do you cope with that? Soon there will be ling cod protecting her clutches. Early morning dives out on the breakwater usually means sea lions. Pipes often have harbor seals. We haven't talked about night dives there yet...

This will give you more material to write (there are only so many dive sites around Monterey) but it also teaches you to get to know the site well. It will give others a reason to dive (which is the goal of the shop you are working with, isn't it?)

Back
Top Bottom