Xs Scuba 120?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I recommend not buying the tank unless you are certain you can re-sell it if you hate it. Although it seems like a good deal, it is not a tremendously great deal. Lets say it is near needing a hydro and it adds another $30-$40 to that price. It is becoming close in price to a new tank (when they go on sale periodically, likely near X-mas time). I recommend going to an HP 100 and if you really need more gas, go to a HP 133. If they are willing to drop the price, OK consider it.
The Faber HP 100 is long as it is and I have to fiddle and remember how high to mount it in my BP/W set-up or I get bonked in the head by the valve or back of legs get bumped every time I kick. Any longer of a tank will make me end the dive. I'm 5'9" tall. I believe the HP120 serve a purpose for very tall people or sidemount folks but a regular person less than 6'6" will consider it too long and make you hate diving. If you miss this deal now and decide to get one later, you can curse my name but likely find a comparable deal later anyway. If you are considering filling/mixing your own tanks, it can be part of your cheap filling bank. I mix without compressors and use the HP tanks as my fill bank.

Hi,

I recommend not buying the tank unless you are certain you can re-sell it if you hate it. Although it seems like a good deal, it is not a tremendously great deal. Lets say it is near needing a hydro and it adds another $30-$40 to that price. It is becoming close in price to a new tank (when they go on sale periodically, likely near X-mas time). I recommend going to an HP 100 and if you really need more gas, go to a HP 133. If they are willing to drop the price, OK consider it.
The Faber HP 100 is long as it is and I have to fiddle and remember how high to mount it in my BP/W set-up or I get bonked in the head by the valve or back of legs get bumped every time I kick. Any longer of a tank will make me end the dive. I'm 5'9" tall. I believe the HP120 serve a purpose for very tall people or sidemount folks but a regular person less than 6'6" will consider it too long and make you hate diving. If you miss this deal now and decide to get one later, you can curse my name but likely find a comparable deal later anyway. If you are considering filling/mixing your own tanks, it can be part of your cheap filling bank. I mix without compressors and use the HP tanks as my fill bank.

I don't know if it matters to the original poster or not, but if he has reason to prefer the hot-dipped-galvanized type tanks, then those are no longer available for sale (new) in the US market, causing the price to run higher for a used one than would otherwise be the case. The hot dipped galvanized tanks are a superior technology and worth more $ in the 1st place.

Last edited:
Hi Pepperbelly, in case you are worried about missing a great deal, I would relax and be re-assured a good deal will come up again.
I don't like to see people buy something they think is a great deal and uncertain it is what they need. You are a veteran diver coming back to diving again and I was like you not long ago. I took a break from diving twice over 25 years (last break was more than 10 years) and each time coming back I re-assessed all my gear and made lots of changes and spent a lot on new gear. Some of those purchases were wasteful. I would keep diving the Al80 and learn to set up and trim your set-up better. You may go on travel and be forced to use an Al80 anyway. Then keep an eye out for a good HP100/HP133, new or used. Find a place to rent an HP100, 120, 133 or go to a shop with a pool and ask if you can bring your own gear and jump in the pool with one of their tanks to check out weight characteristics. No use having a tank you don't use. If you don't mix your own, lend out tanks or sling extra bottles owning a tank you don't like is just clutter. I don't like seeing people buy stuff under pressure. In my opinion, the scuba sport is going through major equipment evolution at the moment. Lots of new stuff to buy that may or may-not work for you. At times, I learned the hard way.
Lastly, I'm happy you are coming back to diving again. From my experience coming back to diving is exciting and fun. As you get your "scuba instincts" again your goals will be more specific and you have even more fun. :)

Last edited:
I think I'm going to pass on it. The seller has it on consignment at a LDS and isn't wanting to sell it for less. I think he doesn't really need the money.
When I got back into diving I had to replace a lot of old gear like fins and my mask, and buy new stuff I had never seen before- like my BCD.
I bought an AL80 before I really started reading about the new tanks. When I started diving back in the late '60s/ early '70s we had steel 72s. The aluminum 80s were coming out in the late '70s, I think, and we thought that was great- more air. So when I looked to buy a tank I just looked for an AL80. Oh well, it isn't a bad choice or kiss of death, but after reading about tanks I now wish I had bought an HP100 steel.
This HP120 was just one I came across, and I really hate missing out on bargains. This seems like a good tank but not a true bargain.
I can be patient- I have everything I need, and some stuff I just want. All I really need to complete my equipment list is a backup light, a slate and a tank marker light, and a hood, and gloves, and and and,...
It never really ends- does it?

I'm actually looking for a pair of HP120. Does the shop have two or one tank? Where did you find this?

Thanks,

The shop only has a single HP120. It's on consignment from a guy who moved to Florida and didn't want to take it.
The shop is in Grapevine between Dallas and Fort Worth.

It's not always that easy to find a used Worthington, I've been looking for over a month for an HP 100 on the west coast. Everything I've found has been long gone by the time I stumble across it. Almost scored one today, but the listing went up at 11:26, I had contacted them by 2pm, and it was already spoken for.

Reactions: Jax
I take it you stumbled on the two that a seller in Cupertino, California was selling. Yes, those went very quickly. Ironically, I know the buyer and the seller. Would you be interested in Pressed Steel HP100 (3500PSI 7/8 Vale Thread)? I might be selling mine, if I migrate to hp120s. I should know within 48 hours.

With all this talk about tanks, I ended up ordering a Faber HP117. It is about an inch shorter than the Faber HP100 but larger in diameter.
The weight is 3.5 pounds heavier than the HP100. I can post a report if anyone is interested.
I am a 5ft, 9in male and 150 lbs. I feel the HP100 is borderline on height comfort. I use it because it works OK but prefer the Worthington HP100 over it.
I currently own: Worthington HP100 (short tank), Faber HP100, Faber HP133, Faber LP50.
I will try the 117 and see if the height, trim and girth end up well suited for what I'm after.

Lastly, is the short Worthington HP100 actually a 100cu ft?
It is shorter than the Faber HP100 that is also claimed to be 100cu ft.
Something doesn't add up and I'm guessing it is another "round up and round down" to the nearest 100.

My LDS has a slightly used XS Scuba Worthington steel tank for sale. It's stamped 3442 psi, so from reading here I think it's an HP120.

@pepperbelly - 3442 is the fill pressure, and has nothing to do with the tank capacity. It could be an HP 100, an HP 120, or an HP 130.

Please look at the tank again. After the words "XS Scuba" should be a designation like X8 130 or X7 100 ... what does it say?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom