Yay, advanced C-card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L:
I prefer a good ice saw - the chainsaw can leave a bit of an oil slick on the surface.

What about a nitrox clean chainsaw?

I still maintain that ice is for putting in Gin and I'm still waiting for anyone to convince me otherwise. Anyhow, that amount of ice would cost a fortune where I live.

Sorry Warren, I was editing my post for clarification, so your "quotes" don't line up with what my finished post says. But it's of no real consequence.

As you say, you never know, as the diver, what it is you're breathing (purity wise). I'm hoping, with my CO analyzer to maybe catch (some) of those fringe problems before they become real life and death ones.

It's given me cause to pause and wonder about how I'm going to handle the "Here's your tank, now get in the water" type of situations while diving abroad.

Any thoughts? Other than making everyone and their dog wait while anal Steve analyzes the crap out of each and every tank he uses next time he's in Coz!

We did it again........This is about D/Rat's Adv course isn't it?

DrownedRat - sorry about the hijack, it was unintentional.

Steve - it's probably not possible to test every single tank you use. Perhaps you can just test the first tank from the source (crack the valve into a ziplock bag with the CO analyzer in it).

No worries guys, this is really interesting stuff. Keep it up :)

Scuba_Steve:
Sorry Warren, I was editing my post for clarification, so your "quotes" don't line up with what my finished post says. But it's of no real consequence.

As you say, you never know, as the diver, what it is you're breathing (purity wise). I'm hoping, with my CO analyzer to maybe catch (some) of those fringe problems before they become real life and death ones.

It's given me cause to pause and wonder about how I'm going to handle the "Here's your tank, now get in the water" type of situations while diving abroad.

Any thoughts? Other than making everyone and their dog wait while anal Steve analyzes the crap out of each and every tank he uses next time he's in Coz!

We did it again........This is about D/Rat's Adv course isn't it?

Warren_L:
And there are only 2 places in the GTA that I am confident about getting O2 compatible air from (to keep my O2 tanks clean). The others, well, I won't even go there (where is Pufferfish when you need him??)

Well, now seriously.... what two shops do you reccomend? I'm doing the Nitrox class in a couple of weeks, so a referral to a good shop for fills would be great....

cancun mark:
What about a nitrox clean chainsaw?
We do use vegetable oil for chain lube instead of regular oil lube. Its more like "water ready" chain lube! :wink:

cancun mark:
I still maintain that ice is for putting in Gin and I'm still waiting for anyone to convince me otherwise. Anyhow, that amount of ice would cost a fortune where I live.
How about 100-150 foot vis in a fresh water lake that the vis otherwise never gets above 20'?

artw:
it's hard to justify nitrox if you are getting free air, and most of your diving is within the 80-100 foot range.
now if you are interested in spending 2 hours on the Gaskin with a large steel tank then Nitrox is the way to go

Really this (70 - 100') is where nitrox comes into its own. Don't forget that nitrox isn't always about adding time. You may very well be air limited anyway depending on your tanks and how many repet dives you're doing. It's also about reducing the decompression stress on your body. It is always easier on your your body if you can avoid the absorption of inert gasses in the first place rather than having to offgas them later. In this case you'll just feel better (less tired) at the end of a long day of diving.

It's pretty hard to move forward as a diver without understanding nitrox. How does a rescue diver do his job if he doesn't understand the breathing gasses the divers on the boat are using? It's slowly becoming a fundamental knowledge base that you will need as a diver.

Pat

I gotta admit, with all the hoopla about what Nitrox IS, as far as I could tell, speaking directly for myself, I always feels just as bagged out at the end of a day whether diving Air or Nitrox. (To me, what it ISN'T).

I have to honestly say, I feel way better after a couple of Trimix-Deco dives in one day, than a couple of candy-a$$ recreational dives on Nitrox.

I haven't dove "air" in almost year, and, for many reasons don't expect to do it soon, (For all the reasons well known to 90% of you), so I think I have given the "Less tired" scenario a chance to prove itself.

To me, it hasn't.

DISCLAIMER: This in no way should be misconstrued as a reason to NOT use Nitrox. It's just my personal observation.

Hey, just a thought, would you think that Nitrox would/could/should be fit into an Advanced Open Water Course? I think this would be an incredible idea!

Steve

DrownedRat:
For me at least, I'm young, single and have no kids, however my regualr buddy has both wife and two wonderful kids.

Jeeez I'm getting all choked up here, LOL! Thanks for thinking of me 'Rat! Now I feel bad about all those rocks I was rolling at you on our safety stop last night...

And at least one of those kids was pretty far from wonderful tonight, yeesh!

It's mutual- You're not getting any younger, someone's gotta watch out for ya. I've got my eye on you, and Octo & Knife at the ready to defend you from charging Carp.
Matt.

Scuba_Steve:
I gotta admit, with all the hoopla about what Nitrox IS, as far as I could tell, speaking directly for myself, I always feels just as bagged out at the end of a day whether diving Air or Nitrox. (To me, what it ISN'T).

I have to honestly say, I feel way better after a couple of Trimix-Deco dives in one day, than a couple of candy-a$$ recreational dives on Nitrox.

I haven't dove "air" in almost year, and, for many reasons don't expect to do it soon, (For all the reasons well known to 90% of you), so I think I have given the "Less tired" scenario a chance to prove itself.

To me, it hasn't.

DISCLAIMER: This in no way should be misconstrued as a reason to NOT use Nitrox. It's just my personal observation.

Hey, just a thought, would you think that Nitrox would/could/should be fit into an Advanced Open Water Course? I think this would be an incredible idea!

Steve

I think if you dive the same time/depth on Nitrox vs. air there is an advantage to nitrox over air wrt physical strain. How much is certainly personal. Trimix has it's own advantages.

Nitrox as an advanced course topic... hmm... at first thought...not under the current "experience" format most agencies use. Most AOW divers still don't have fundamental control over buoyancy and need to work on this before playing with PO2 limits. However, I don't think it is far from an AOW skill/knowledge base.

Pat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom