Yoke o-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Well it got beaten to death here a whiles ago in a yoke versus DIN debate - whether or not yoke o-rings are actually a potential failure during a dive. Most yoke proponents were suggesting that if a yoke o-ring was going to fail, it would fail on the surface when the valve is turned on.

Well I just had one fail at depth.

Just got back from Fiji, doing a third dive of the day, boat DM switched my gear over, the outfit we were diving with had appeared to be very competant, so I was lax and slipped into holiday/honeymoon mode and let them do everything. My wife decided to sit the dive out, as she was feeling tired from the previous dive (lots of current), which meant that I was going to be part of a group dive following the DM around the new site, with no particular assigned buddy. Basically a solo dive, but the DMs were good, so I planned to stick to the DM for this dive. It's only the second or third dive I would have done without an assigned buddy, and thanks to a little tap on the shoulder from Mr Murphy it will likely be my last.

The site was a large reef on a sea mount. Basically a big underwater hill of coral. Geared up, entered into about 20' of water, and we proceeded down the side of the reef to about 50'. Here the DM turned the group around, and proceeded back up the reef to 16', presumably as he'd started the dive off in the wrong direction he intended. I found myself about 5-8' behind the rear diver in the group, and was making a lazy move forward to stick next to the DM when all hell broke loose behind my head. It sounded like a hose or the first stage had totally failed, and the tank itself was freeflowing. This was 5 minutes into the dive, and depth was 16'. I weighed up my options, which were a) swim to the nearest diver and do the old OOA routine, or b) emergency swimming ascent. Seeing as the closest diver seemed oblivious to the slight drama unfolding behind him (turns out he heard it but wasn't sure what it was), I chose to bail myself out and do a simple ascent, dumping air from my wing and exhaling as I went up. As soon as I hit the surface I hit the inflate on the wing, and tried manually inflating it for a few breaths just to make sure that the wing was still intact. Fortunately I was pretty much directly under the boat when it happened thanks to the DM turning the dive group around and heading back the direction we'd came, so I was only about 30' from the boat when I hit the surface. Got to the swim step, and the remaining crew member turned my valve off, and I exited the water.

Had a look at the reg - it was firmly attached to the valve, but there was still almost a third of the o-ring extruded. There was only 400psi left in the tank, starting pressure was around 3000psi, and the dive was only 5:20 long. Had it happened at any deeper depth, I would have probably gone for an air donation.

Lessons learnt -
a) DON'T trust someone else to rig your gear - I had been inspecting o-rings on the tanks I had switched out myself, had I done this one myself I might have caught it (I had spare o-rings with me).
b) DON'T assume someone in the group will be looking out for you, or even notice you have a problem (basically, for me that means dive with a buddy)
c) Stick to diving DIN where possible

Nice job, Scubaroo. Very glad all ended well!
So, after the O-ring blew, there was no working pressure to the regulator?
Also, you said:
"Had a look at the reg - it was firmly attached to the valve, but there was still almost a third of the o-ring extruded."

So was the O-ring/regulator improperly put together in the first place? IOW, the O-ring didn't fail of itself. It failed because it was sticking out before the dive. Am I reading this right?
How did the crew respond?

Yolk connections are at best a pain. I've seen many fail. True most were on the surface or were a low leak rather than totally busting open but a pain none the less.

A fillwhip with a nick can even trash an o-ring. When we ran a shop we went through more o-rings than I could even count.

IU'd rather not use yolk at all but if I did I'd carry a box of o-rings.

Yolk connections should just go away.

I'm really curious if it was leaking before the failure. Of course that's one of the reasons why you require an assigned buddy - to monitor you for leaks as you descend.

If it was improperly put together there should have been some warning.

Did you do anything that would have caused rotation of the 1st stage?
Was the cylinder mounted very low?
Could pulling your BC hose have forced a rotation?

Of course the real lesson learned is to have a buddy and stick close.

Good report thanks scubaroo. Glad it turned out ok, I have had a students hose fail under similar situation (a few minutes into the dive), and "all hell broke loose" is an understatement.

I was diving in the Channel Islands over the 4th of July weekend and while making my way to the stern anchor line I saw 2 divers starting their descent. I noticed a steady stream of bubbles coming from the yoke connection of the second diver. Because she was just getting back into diving after an extended period, her buddy was facing and watching her for any problems. She seemed oblivious to the leak so I got her attention and pointed to the bubbles. Still not comprehending I pointed to her buddy and gave the up signal and they both ascended. I tried to tighten the connection but it was not loose. I told her that she should go back to the boat and let the boat crew change out the o'ring.

Me and my buddy went about our dive and when everybody was back on board the group leader who is an instructor and equipment tech called everybody to the stern for what I thought was a head count. He informed everyone that there had been a "couple" of incidents where some divers had reported seeing bubbles coming from the yoke connections of some of the other divers. "Not" a problem he says. Those are "Sherwood" regs and they are "designed" to leak a little. Ooops:) You learn something new every day, but now if I see a leaking reg I guess I'll have to check to see what kind it is before I act:)

divenut2001:
"Not" a problem he says. Those are "Sherwood" regs and they are "designed" to leak a little. Ooops:) You learn something new every day, but now if I see a leaking reg I guess I'll have to check to see what kind it is before I act:)

Interesting - probably part of a very clever scheme to end explosive failures. Maybe the designer managed to work out a way to only have "graceful" failures. The bubbles just get bigger and bigger until the diver pays attention and still has time to do a safe ascent.... :10:
The small bubbles are just there to prove that the (monitoring) system is working. :wink:

The reg definitely was firmly attached, and not leaking on the boat - I checked the tightness of the reg, and turned the valve myself - there was no leak or extrusion on the boat. Just didn't eyeball the o-ring to check its condition.

There was still working pressure to the reg, even down to the 400psi - I was able to inflate the wing on the surface, after trying the manaul inflation, I continued to breath the reg while on the surface until I made it back to the boat.

Crew's response was "old o-ring". No response from DM who was UW (no-one noticed the incident during the dive, OR my disappearance). That was the scary part in hindsight.

miketsp:
Interesting - probably part of a very clever scheme to end explosive failures.
It's not that intelligent.
It's similar to the Genesis dry sealed 1st stage. Rather than being packed with grease, or using a hydrostatic transmitter like Apeks, the reg vents a little air into a balance chamber, which is released as the diver ascends.
This IS the first I've heard of them bubbling on descent, but I suppose it could happen.

miketsp:
Interesting - probably part of a very clever scheme to end explosive failures. Maybe the designer managed to work out a way to only have "graceful" failures. The bubbles just get bigger and bigger until the diver pays attention and still has time to do a safe ascent.... :10:
The small bubbles are just there to prove that the (monitoring) system is working. :wink:

No, it's a real feature and Oceanic and Zeagle use the same trick on some of their firsts. They balance the diaphram (or piston) with ambiant pressure air instead of allowing water in. Less corrsion issues supposedly, and less likely to freeze up. In theory they should only bleed a trickle of air on ascent. More than that, or if it's bleeding during descent, there's a problem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom