you lost your dive mask now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving "cold" water, I usually wear a hood year-round. I keep my mask strap under the hood. I've never "lost" my mask thanks to that. I did have a mask strap break once, but because the strap was under the hood, the mask stayed by my face. I simply pushed it against my face with my video housing and continued filming.

Those of you diving warmer water where hoods are over-kill have different issues to contend with (but often clearer water to relocate the fallen mask).

Although crossposting is usually forbidden. Can't we please make an exception in this one instance. If for no other reason than the keep CORALCRAZED off TDS.

:lam:

You should be able to complete a dive safely without a mask. You should have been trained for that. You should practice diving without a mask. It should not be a problem for a diver who is confident and comfortable in the water. You should be able to keep your eyes open, you should endeaver to practice this as well. I can see well enough without a mask to remain oriented and to complete an ascent, safety stop etc. It should be an absolute mandatory skill. N

You should be able to complete a dive safely without a mask. You should have been trained for that. You should practice diving without a mask. It should not be a problem for a diver who is confident and comfortable in the water. You should be able to keep your eyes open, you should endeaver to practice this as well. I can see well enough without a mask to remain oriented and to complete an ascent, safety stop etc. It should be an absolute mandatory skill. N

Yes, I do remember that they had us swim across the pool wih our mask off wile a buddy guided us. Eyes closed though. I never attempted to open in saltwater. Its on my things to do... funny what divers will do... note to self, after a great dive take the mask off close to surface and see how bad salt stings the eye. :eyebrow::( sound like fun. its all for a good cause though.

I agreed with my buddy that if either of us lose a mask and cannot see:

1. buddy to hold on to BCD of maskless buddy.
2. if seabed is visible then buddy to take maskless buddy down together to search for mask *together*.
3. if seabed is not visible abort dive and buddy to assist maskless diver to surface.

I'm wondering if anyone out there had the unfortunate expierience to loose thier mask while on a dive...? did you have a buddy find them? did you open you eyes to look for them? did you or would you go topside? we are tought to clear a mask if this should happen but what happens if you loose one? does anyone actually connect thier mask to a clip attached to the bc for added insurance? I have seen a device that holds the reg. in your mouth if it should be forced out for whatever reason. Just wondering. thanks

Open your eyes. You should be able to complete a dive sufficient to safely surface without a mask. If you are in overhead then carry a spare, open water, go up.

N

I knew an instructor who made a really cool mask leash that you hung around your neck. The mask was clipped off with a fishing swivel which was just strong enough to retain the mask if knocked off. It worked really well, but I would be concerned with the possability of it getting cought on something and hanging you by your neck....

Sounds like you might have met me. I've been using a tethered mask in this exact configuration since I saw UDT doing it in the 1960's.

It works, never gotten hung up, never lost a mask, and never gotten anyone else to adopt it.

....I dive solely in clear tropical reefs and wear a black zeagle mask. All black.... if it was to fall on the white sand and assuming you can open your eyes and see a blurry vision than I would probablybe able to find it on my own if I had to but I would signal a buddy of the situation first.....

Sounds like a plan. Mask falls off... Move away from reef, hover over shallow sand, attract your buddy's attention and point while gesturing at your eyeballs. I'm not sure if there's a universally accepted diver's hand signal for "I lost my mask" :glasses:

Funny thing about Oceanic salt water, it pretty well mimics your natural tears. Get some practice, open your eyes sans mask. It's a learning experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom