Your dream scuba trip around the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm happy that I can cross off two or three from most of the lists.......but would still love to do most all (except the cold water stuff) listed.

I find it funny that Australia has not been mentioned...not that i have an affinity for it..not on my list either.

I find it funny that Australia has not been mentioned...not that i have an affinity for it..not on my list either.

Check again

So departing Dubai to;
1. Sri Lanka - diving wrecks off Colombo and the east coast to dive HMS Hermes

2. West coast of Sumatra (Cubadak - as recommended by Wingy)

3. Ningaloo, west coast of Oz

4. Raja Ampat, Indonesia

5. Okinawa (for some special nudibranchs)

6. Chuuk (Truk Lagoon)

7. Papua New Guinea (WWII wrecks)

8. Sydney, east coast of Oz (to dive with some special people)

9. Easter Island - dive the underwater city

10 - Silfra, Iceland for some amazing visibility before I return to 2-5M vis in UAE, but at least appreciate the warmer waters

As of now, my 10 dream trips going east are:

1 - UK (Scapa Flow and Farne Islands) - have to start diving dry first
2 - Red Sea (Sha'ab Rumi and S.S. Thilstlegorm) - I have been to Jordan and I was unlucky, but want to give the Red Sea a try again
3 - Layang Layang and Sipadan - Scalloped Hammerhead and Barracudas
4 - Komodo and Raja Ampat - Diversity of marine life and healthy corals
5 - Great Barrier Reef - Have not been to Australia, would have to plan with a lot of topside activity
6 - Poor Knights Islands - Have not been to NZ, same as 5 above
7 - Rangiroa and Fakarava - Sharks, Sharks, Sharks!
8 - Cocos Islands - Since I have seen videos from a friend's trip I dream of it every week
9 - North Carolina - I have heard the wrecks are good there
10 - Saba and St Eustatius - The Islands in the Caribbean that I really want to go

There are so many more places, but those are the ones that came to mind.

Want to daydream for a bit (and in the process, help me choose my 40th birthday dive destination)?

List your fantasy ten week, ten stop scuba trip around the world. Only two rules –
- You must always be moving east from your point of departure.
- This is not a Top 10 scuba destinations list, so let’s please hold back on the negative comments. It’s SUPPOSED to be a very subjective and fun way to learn about some new places.

So to kick things off, here’s my trip. My lovely wife is with me on the trip, but since it’s my list she has no say. On her trip, I’ll tag along very happily and quietly.

Choiahoy’s dream trip departing from New York City -

1 - Bonaire – It is just a tiny bit east of NYC, so it’s fair game. We’ve been there twice in two years and love everything about that island.

2 - Malta – It’s on the list mainly because I just couldn’t justify passing over the entire continent of Europe. And I’m a sucker for ancient ruins. But I could see this stop getting bumped.

3 - Red Sea – Considering Sharm El Sheikh or maybe Dahab. Open to suggestions.

4 - Maldives – has been a long time dream.

5 - Indonesia – maybe Bali? Or a liveaboard? We haven’t done a liveaboard before and this might be a good place for our first.

6 – Phillipines – considering Cebu Island or perhaps a liveaboard?

7 – Palau – the pictures I see are jaw dropping. No way this one gets bumped.

8 - Hawaii – I have to visit my mom on this trip or she’d kick my ass. And we love every one of the islands, above and below water. It was a trip to Hawaii that made us decide to become divers.

9 - Galapagos – see number 4

10 - Mexico – I’m kind of cheating by lumping Cozumel and the Riviera Maya into one, but you possibly could do both in a week. We fell in love with diving the cenotes the last time we were there.

Maybe Malta gets bumped for Chuuk, the Great Barrier Reef, or Cocos Islands. Or Thailand or Fiji. Truly too many places.

Looking forward to reading your lists.

Rather than list my top 10, I'm going to make some comments on yours ... based on my personal experiences ...

1. Bonaire - can't go wrong. Been there five times ... plan to go back again someday. My last time there was pre-lionfish, so I hope it's still as good as it used to be.

3. Red Sea - Sharm will be fine if you like crowds ... expect to share the best dive sites with 30-50 other boats. Dahab was very nice, but the reef life doesn't compare favorably to sites further south. I'd recommend instead going south ... take a liveaboard to Brothers/Daedalus/Elphinstone for better reefs, less crowded conditions and some opportunities at pelagics. The conditions there can be more challenging, but if you're up for it the payoff is incredible.

4. Maldives - I spent 10 days doing the southern route on the Carpe Vita ... one of the newer and supposedly higher-end liveaboards in the area. While it was nice, I found the reef life to be a bit underwhelming. I did appreciate the interaction with whale sharks ... my first. But other than that, if I had it to do over again I'd rather spend the time and money in someplace like Indonesia ... way more bang for the buck, and the Maldives generally costs more for what you get than pretty much anyplace in the south Pacific.

5. Indonesia - love the place ... been there several times. I'd opt to spent more time there, because there's so much variety to be found. Bali's a nice kick-off ... I particularly love Tulamben because the diving's good, it's real convenient shore diving, and it's relatively cheap. But a tour of the island that takes you to places like Secret Bay, Menjangen Island and Nusa Penida will give you a more well-rounded experience of what Bali has to offer. When you get your fill of Bali, book a liveaboard in Komodo ... it'll blow your mind. The best dive sites are current-sensitive, so you'll want to be comfortable with drift dives. After you're done there, fly up to Lembeh Straits for some muck diving ... you'll encounter some of the strangest critters on the planet. Plan to spend at least a week ... my first time there was only four days, and it left me wishing I'd booked a longer stay. After Lembeh, head off to Raja Ampat. I stayed at a resort (Raja4Divers), and it was incredible ... but when I go again (and I will) it'll probably be on a liveaboard, just to see what else there is to offer. It's remote ... the most remote place I've been yet ... and the reefs are as pristine as you're likely to find anywhere. Life is abundant ... mind-blowingly so at times. Those four spots alone will give you a good taste of Indonesia ... and there are hundreds I haven't even touched on yet. I'd spend a whole month just in Indonesia.

Can't really comment on the other places just yet. Will be going to Fiji for the first time in three months ... and a year later will be hitting the Philippines with the ScubaBoard crew ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 08:48 AM ----------

Emily and I are planning a different tactic -- move to Bali for a year or so, and use it as a (very pleasant) base to dive the Indo-Pacific area.

And visit other cultures, see topside wildlife, and be tourists as well.

Target date: June 2016. We may never return!

- Bill

... I'll be about 2 years behind you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

4. Maldives - I spent 10 days doing the southern route on the Carpe Vita ... one of the newer and supposedly higher-end liveaboards in the area. While it was nice, I found the reef life to be a bit underwhelming. I did appreciate the interaction with whale sharks ... my first. But other than that, if I had it to do over again I'd rather spend the time and money in someplace like Indonesia ... way more bang for the buck, and the Maldives generally costs more for what you get than pretty much anyplace in the south Pacific.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2015 at 08:48 AM ----------

How is Maldives an expensive destination? You can do a liveaboard for 1200 USD. I thought of Maldives as a budget destination along the lines with Thailand.

Maldives Liveaboards - MV Sting Ray

How is Maldives an expensive destination? You can do a liveaboard for 1200 USD. I thought of Maldives as a budget destination along the lines with Thailand.

Maldives Liveaboards - MV Sting Ray

The Sting Ray is a low-budget boat ... if that's what you want, then great. They have similar deals elsewhere in the world as well ... often at much lower prices than the Sting Ray has to offer.

As I said ... I'm offering my opinion based on my experiences. I was comparing the Carpe Vita ... the liveaboard I used in the Maldives ... to the Pelagian, a comparably appointed liveaboard that I used in Indonesia. The Carpe Vita offered less, and cost more, than the Pelagian. The diving in the Maldives doesn't even come close to the abundance and variety I experienced in Komodo ... from a value perspective it's not even close. I'm glad I went to the Maldives ... but I don't need to do it again. By contrast, I've returned to Indonesia several times.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Sting Ray is a low-budget boat ... if that's what you want, then great. They have similar deals elsewhere in the world as well ... often at much lower prices than the Sting Ray has to offer.

As I said ... I'm offering my opinion based on my experiences. I was comparing the Carpe Vita ... the liveaboard I used in the Maldives ... to the Pelagian, a comparably appointed liveaboard that I used in Indonesia. The Carpe Vita offered less, and cost more, than the Pelagian. The diving in the Maldives doesn't even come close to the abundance and variety I experienced in Komodo ... from a value perspective it's not even close. I'm glad I went to the Maldives ... but I don't need to do it again. By contrast, I've returned to Indonesia several times.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Makes sense Bob. From these boards I get the impression that corals and reef life is better in Indonesia but Maldives has more frequent big animal interaction with sharks and rays. Was the true of your experience?

In a 10 day liveaboard trip I had one day when we encountered two whale sharks. We had several channel dives where we encountered numerous sharks and eagle rays ... and those were all high-current dives where we spent essentially the entire dive reef-hooked into rocks. Other than these large animals, the reefs were essentially barren with little of interest to see. The one day we went to a manta ray cleaning station we saw one manta ... but we shared the experience with about 100 other people, and whenever you got off the bottom some dive guide would immediately grab you and force you back to your knees on the bottom. I couldn't wait to end that dive, I was so aggravated by what I considered atrocious behavior on the part of the dive pros. Frankly, the best dive we did was a wreck that happened to be the house reef for one of the dive resorts.

Like I said ... I'm glad I went. It's a place I'd always wanted to go ... but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed a bit, especially compared to some other places I've been that cost a lot less money ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Mine would be

1. Sipadan
2 Komodo
3. Raja Ampat
4. Three week expedition Livaboard around Indonesia
5. PNG Wrecks
6. Philippines.
7. Chuk Lagoon
8. Galapagos Islands
9. Ascension Islands
10. Southern Red Sea/Sudan

Regarding the Maldives, I too was underwhelmed - Sure I saw Manta's but no whale sharks - At the Manta station I pretty much had Bob's experience. The reefs were bleached from an El Nino Event but I love the abundance of white and blacked tipped reef sharks.

Thailand again I was very underwhelmed even on the "World class site of Richelieu Rock"

I am very luck that the Mussandam Peninsular in Oman is a fantastic local dive destination. One site Lima Rock, we consider to be a mediocre site given often it has poor vis and others are better, but overtime we go to places like Thailand and the Maldives we come back realising how fantastic our diving is, with the abundance of Hard and soft coral, No Manta's but Whale Sharks are common as is everything else.

I guess perceptions are based on previous dive experience.

BTW I'm not pushing for anyone to come dive the Mussandam. We like the fact there may only be one other boat (normally its just one boat) in the area. Its a hidden gem where the only divers you see are you friends thus it's untouched and undamaged.

I'm off in the Summer to the Read sea on a Liveaboard - I learnt to dive in El Gouna in 07 and I hope the Red Sea lives up to my (rose tinted) memories

Want to daydream for a bit (and in the process, help me choose my 40th birthday dive destination)?

List your fantasy ten week, ten stop scuba trip around the world. Only two rules –
- You must always be moving east from your point of departure.
- This is not a Top 10 scuba destinations list, so let’s please hold back on the negative comments. It’s SUPPOSED to be a very subjective and fun way to learn about some new places.
Is it that difficult to stick on the TWO rules?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom