Your favourite second stage and *why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Poseidon Cyklon 300, until I traded up to the 500.

Now I am running XStream Black. WOW, almost like having no 2nd stage in your mouth, it is so light.
Poseidon all the way.
Why, reliability. Go wherever you want, whenever you want, as deep as you want.
200 meters, Ice Diving anything.

Now I am running XStream Black. WOW, almost like having no 2nd stage in your mouth, it is so light.

Good point, the non metal side exhaust regulators do have that almost not there nice and light feeling.
For recreational diving my favorite of that style is the Hollis 500se, only because I prefer the inhalation characteristics of 500se design vs the Xstream. But I like the Xstream as well.

Always wanted to try the Hollis 500SE, maybe one day.
It is a sweet breathing second stage.
I have a habit of tuning hot (no surprise) and the 500se was a wet breather the first time or two I tuned and dove it.
rsingler informed me it should not breathe wet, and try backing off the hot tune a little. He was on the money, problem solved.

When is the good Dr not on the money.

I'll Keep my eyes open for a used one. I think it looks super cool. Is it easy to service? Get kits for? What IP is it most happy with? Cheers.

When is the good Dr not on the money.

Ill
Keep my eyes open for a used one. I think it looks super cool. Is it easy to service? Get kits for? What IP is it most happy with? Cheers.
following

I'll Keep my eyes open for a used one. I think it looks super cool. Is it easy to service? Get kits for? What IP is it most happy with? Cheers.
Servicing is average skill level, I would describe it as one difficulty step above a G250 due to the less common design.

It has been a couple years since I have seen grey market service kits available online. I was able to successfully use Omega II part as replacement for the valve diaphragm and if my memory is correct most all other internal parts match as well. No guarantees on that memory from a couple years ago though. The 500se is basically an Oceanic Omega II with a different shell and redesigned exhaust. So the main long term issue with the 500se will be difficulty sourcing model specific parts such as the exhaust and retainer covers which are prone to cracking with age.

The 500se is not a second stage that is is sensitive to a specific IP as far as I know, and the service manual does not describe a recommended IP. When tuned to first stages in the 130-145 psi range it performs like a champ.

I think of the 500se as a bit of a novelty, great performance and fun to dive. It was on my earlier post of favorite seconds, but it would not make a list of most practical second stages due to limited parts availability and the unfortunate lack of durability on the exhaust and retainer covers.

I have a SP G250. It can start buying alcohol in two years, already old enough to vote. I like it a lot. Someone else mentioned the venturi and I will agree, I don’t like it either. I usually dive with it off. Otherwise it is a great regulato, breaths easy, easy to adjust int water.

I have a SP G250. It can start buying alcohol in two years, already old enough to vote. I like it a lot. Someone else mentioned the venturi and I will agree, I don’t like it either. I usually dive with it off. Otherwise it is a great regulato, breaths easy, easy to adjust int water.

Try this:

001B9334-4CBA-48DD-A4D3-C604BB35F974.png

Back
Top Bottom