Your favourite second stage and *why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Abyss Navy II more than just the black coating. It's a sealed extreme cold water reg.
This thread and my post are about second stages. The environmentally sealed part refers to the MR22 first stage that is part of the Navy II package. Internally, the Abyss second stage is the same as all the other post-2008 Abyss second stages except for the coating. Which you could also get on the Europe-only Abyss Extreme second stage.

While what you say is true, you forget a fundamental point of the Pilot: thanks to its double input, it can be fed simultaneously by two independent first stages! This is shown in some vintage photos of the time, and this is the configuration recommended by Scubapro for very deep diving.
This made it possible to obtain the incredible performances testified by the US Navy award, which were obtained in this dual-first stage configuration, solving at once the airflow limitations inherent with one-tank-one-valve-one first stage.
There was a thread here about a guy doing that and the he caught all kinds of **** for it. I thought it was an interesting idea.

There was a thread here about a guy doing that and the he caught all kinds of **** for it. I thought it was an interesting idea.
This is the internet. Two years ago people with a high school education (participation trophy) were explaining why their doctor and a century of medical advances were wrong so they could breath free in Walmart.

This is the internet. Two years ago people with a high school education (participation trophy) were explaining why their doctor and a century of medical advances were wrong so they could breath free in Walmart.
I believe it was @AfterDark who uses and AIR1 that way. The Pilot is spooky with its air delivery, the AIR1 is the next step in the evolution and greatly simplified, next came the D series but the lost the duel input ability.

I think it was that guy John Ratcliff and he called it something like "the most redundant setup" or something like that. Problem is, it's actually less redundant because a leak on either side means you lose gas on both sides. Everything between the tank valves and the 2nd stage valve acts like one big chamber.

I could see diving with such a set up to demonstrate the fact that the tank valve is the actual bottleneck for pressure transfer, but there's no other reason IMO. It's not safe unless you are also carrying an additional bottle with a completely separate regulator system, especially considering the idea of such a high performance set up is to improve extreme deep diving performance. Well, you certainly don't want to do any deep diving without plenty of redundant gas. It gets silly pretty fast, hence the popularity of CCRs at extreme depth.

.......and it works very well. Just goes to show how wrong the "crowd" can be.

Here is a "Where's Waldo?" moment for you Poseidon enthusiasts, out there.

While digging through a box of old manuals, I came upon the service instructions for the Cyklon Maximum, what Poseidon had once called the Jetstream; the Odin; and the Thor, back when it was first distributed, some forty-plus years ago.

Below are diagrams of the second stage. What seems to be conspicuously missing?

Attachments

• C138EA2C-C601-4C9D-BCE6-DC25E92A2144.jpeg
    C138EA2C-C601-4C9D-BCE6-DC25E92A2144.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 52
  • EF48D139-B97C-4A0E-A833-70186A2DF0D1.jpeg
    EF48D139-B97C-4A0E-A833-70186A2DF0D1.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 51
OK I'll bite :D
The tapered return spring on the pilot servo valve and associated tiny e-clip?
I'm impressed you used to be able to buy individual parts for the servo valve vs having to buy the whole assembly at $100+ now!

Back
Top Bottom