Your number one tip to increase your time underwater.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive as often as possible ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lots of good tips here and a few that aren't so good. (sorry, Max Speed). I am surprised that diveprof is the only responder who mentioned PROPER WEIGHTING, which is my #1 point as well. That is the key to good buoyancy control, and buoyancy control is the key to reducing air consumption. Move as little as possible, do nothing to make you breathe heavily, trim you buoyancy often and in timy variations in and out. Going to the gym, surprisingly, does not really help and can have the opposite effect by increasing lung capacity and therefor consumption of "more air than you need." It's still a good idea to exercise and be in shape, don't get me wrong. It just won't reduce air consumption. And you were right, Ulfhedinn, you will find that with time and competence you will consume air more slowly, at least most of the time.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Nothing beats general fitness for reducing SAC.

I'll take your hours in the gym and put them head-to-head with my weighting, trim, buoyancy, fin technique and experience :wink:
I'll even choke down a pack of Marlboro Lights to make things fairer :rofl3:

Going to the gym, surprisingly, does not really help and can have the opposite effect by increasing lung capacity and therefor consumption of "more air than you need." It's still a good idea to exercise and be in shape, don't get me wrong. It just won't reduce air consumption.

I have to disagree. Being in better cardio shape means (1) you're more effective/efficient with the same amount of O2, and (2) your heart rate will remain lower for the same amount of exertion. Both will lead to a lower breathing rate. As I've started to run more this year, my consumption rate has begun to fall again. Similar effects in everyone I know who works on their cardio.

I'll take your hours in the gym and put them head-to-head with my weighting, trim, buoyancy, fin technique and experience :wink:
I'll even choke down a pack of Marlboro Lights to make things fairer :rofl3:

Why don't we just say that both techniques will work, and the correct one depends on the diver? :wink:

for me, weighting, trim, buoyancy and experience will not do much, as these are pretty much spot on now. But stopping being a lazy so-and-so and doing some exercise worked wonders.

J

Why don't we just say that both techniques will work, and the correct one depends on the diver? :wink:

for me, weighting, trim, buoyancy and experience will not do much, as these are pretty much spot on now. But stopping being a lazy so-and-so and doing some exercise worked wonders.

J

Agreed. Joking aside - it really depends on where the diver 'is' with their core skills. As a diver gains more experience and refines their skills, they will hit a plateau where other methods (cardio, breathing techniques etc) will help them gain further small improvements. These are minor gains (gains nonetheless) - it is the core skills and comfort that causes the big improvements.

For a novice diver (say, sub-100 dives), working hard at cardio is likely to be a false economy (but a good lifestyle choice regardless). They can be as fit as a whippet, but their air consumption will suck because of water-comfort and core skills.

I noticed my air consumption improved at the 50, 250, 1000 and 4000 dive marks. With each step, my definition of 'water comfort' changed - there really is nothing like experience to help you relax and reduce SAC.

Since you asked for 1 tip I will say to RELAX in every sense of the word.

Mentally, physically and activity wise.

If you have anxiety get to the bottom of it.
If you are uncomfortable get the right gear or configuration
If you swim fast, flap arms or otherwise waste motion, settle down.

Unless you are fighting a current this should be a very placid activity. With deep breathing and good form you breathing should become alarmingly slow and you will have found your zen.

Pete

Going to the gym, surprisingly, does not really help and can have the opposite effect by increasing lung capacity and therefor consumption of "more air than you need." It's still a good idea to exercise and be in shape, don't get me wrong. It just won't reduce air consumption.

Now that's just downright silly ... I got back into riding my road bike more and more since I got certified, and my air consumption continues to improve. I had a stress echo done to check my cardio condition, and found that I had 130% of functional exercise capacity, and yet my air consumption is at its best ever. I'm 6'3" and 215 lbs, and on our last trip I was often surfacing with as much, and few times more, air than my wife, who used to commonly surface with 700-800 psi more than me. And IMHO, it's almost all due to the cardio conditioning.

1) Follow the advice above:D

It will get better. On my first OW dive I sucked an Al80 down in 30 minutes at 30 FSW. Now I plan my dives based on a SAC of .5 and usually execute in the .4 to .45 range depending on conditions. You will get there. And if you are still not satisfied, get bigger tanks.

I do not recommend this at all, but due to some recent personal problems I started smoking again after 5 yrs...stupid I know and I plan to quit soon. The weird side effect I noticed is my air consumption decreased dramatically... weird but true, and again I don't suggest this as the cons outweigh the pros. Just found it interesting. Perhaps someone here could suggest a medical reason for this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom