Your Regulator of Choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife wants to know why I have 15 regulators and only one mouth. I also like the USD Conshelf 14's (3) & 21, a couple of Apex 50's and 100's. SP 10's and 15. Salvo and DR. USD RAM, DAAM, a Mistral and a 1956 Divair doublehose. Actually, I have cut down on my inventory.

I have a Sherwood oasis, ScubaPro mk2/ r190, mk17/g250hp and several HOG regs. My favorite are the HOG's they breath like a dream and have not had any problems with them. The one I like the least is the g250hp breaths like crap since day 1.

Okay. Here's my quick reply. Your Aqualung Legend is a very nice reg - my wife bought one last year and I like it almost as much as the Sherwood Maximus I've been using for the last ten years. The Maximus is light, simple and extremely easy to maintain. I've hauled it through just about every diving condition imaginable, including muck, sand, ice and some other stuff I'd prefer to forget. It's been dropped on rocks, banged around on a hundred dive boats, neglected and abused in just about every way a hard working piece of equiepment can be. I simply flush it out with a hose and it has always functionsed flawlessly. I have never had jaw fatigue due to the second stage swivel and the under-armpit hose routing unique to this model. Sherwood chose to discontinue the Maximus a few years ago, and a Sherwood rep I questioned last year was unable to give me a logical reason. As long as I can still get parts, I'll continue to dive with the most reliable piece of gear I've ever owned.

I have a Sherwood SR1. I actually bought it during my OW course and it is what I have used for all my dives except 1 day in the pool. As of today I own my second reg. I just bought a Scubapro MK25 with an A700. I have been told it is sure to be my favorite.

I have been told it is sure to be my favorite

They have to tell you that when you're dropping over $700 on a reg.

They have to tell you that when you're dropping over $700 on a reg.

Maybe so. Makes me happy though. :D

The SR1 is a nice reg too.

MY favorites are a late 80's Sherwood Oasis + and my Scubapro Mk20/G500. A good reg will last many,many years. Diving these two in particular, I sometimes forget or at least it is not part of my conscious thought that I have a reg in my mouth. A reg that reminds me that it is there by being wet breathing or having any significant resistance is a poor reg in my book.

Same as DiveProf, late 80's Sherwood Oasis+.
My PADI Instructor son - 80's/90's AquaLung Conshelf.

Get a good solid regulator. Some newer regs that the dive mags are talking about are so sensitive that you will have problems. DiveProf will agree with me, as will many other older divers. I am not meant to drive a Ferrari that has to be tuned up/messed with all the time. I just want to dive - give me a "Toyota Camry".

I'm not telling you to buy an older/used reg, but it is interesting that some of the 80's/90's regs by AquaLung, ScubaPro, Sherwood, and a few others are stilled valued by divers with hundred/thousands of dive. Honestly, my 80's Sherwood breathes better at depth/cold w/o freeflows that most of the newer fancy plastic pretty things on the market today.

Apeks XTX200

Adjustable flow, never free flows, high end and reasonably priced. One of the most important features to me is that it is dry packed for cold water use which I do.

I've recently switched over to Atomic M1 regs. IMO, they're the best brand on the market. I'm defiantly not a reg expert, but Atomic doesnt skimp on any of the details in an attempt to produce the best regs they can. Many companies out there are trying to make a quick buck and just rebrand Taiwanese OEMs.

Atomic Aquatics Compendium

I have a Sherwood SR1. I actually bought it during my OW course and it is what I have used for all my dives except 1 day in the pool. As of today I own my second reg. I just bought a Scubapro MK25 with an A700. I have been told it is sure to be my favorite.

I am trying to decide between the Aqualung Legend LX and the Sherwood SR1. Can I ask why you decided to get a new reg? Any light you can shed on the SR1 would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom