Your Regulator of Choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to decide between the Aqualung Legend LX and the Sherwood SR1. Can I ask why you decided to get a new reg? Any light you can shed on the SR1 would be really appreciated. Thanks.

I like the SR1. I did have a problem when I got it serviced. The tech wanted to send it back to Sherwood but didn't have time to send it back. The tech rebuilt it a second time and now problem is fixed. I think the conclusion was that it may have just been a bad valve seat. I am keeping it as a spare. It breathes great. I have been to 99' with it and it was as easy breathing there as it was at 20'. I am doing my AOW in Cozumel next week and don't want any problems.

If you do a search for SR1 you will see that there was some problems with some of the first ones produced. Or you can go to the Sherwood forum on the board and read about the problems that others have had. Sherwood has since fixed that problem. If you look at the serial number and it contains and A or a B that is one of the earlier builds that had problems. Since then I haven't heard of any further problems.

I am something of a gear junkie anyway. I have upgraded everything I had except my wetsuit and boots. The still think the SR1 is a good choice. It has always performed flawlessly for me. The MK25/A700 has a metal 2nd stage and has a lot of chrome and shine.

Hope this helps.

About 11 years ago I found a SP MK 20/G250 (not the HP version) and picked it up. Only reason I got it was that it was cheap at the time, and I had heard it was a decent reg. I dove it for the last 11 years, loved it and just recently got a MK25/A700...once again, nothing wrong with the old 20/G250...but I got a great deal on the 25/A700, and had been wanting the 25 1st stage. There's alot of hype around SP regs,some positive, some negative, but the ones I've had have never let me down, so I've stuck with them all this time.

No idea about regs.

Too busy crapping myself with regards to all the other variables.

Regs....when I resumed serious diving in 09 I purchased the SR1 and I have had no regrets. Sealed first stage and a joy to breath through. Did not like much the Sherwood dual Octo it came with (Leaking at surface when entering water, not the easiest to breath through) and elected to replace it after two years with a Mares Proton metal Octo. I must have over 100 dives with it ranging from shallow to deep, warm to cold. I trust it enough to lend it to my son when we go diving together. It is the one I normally used when I dive single tank.

Zeagle Flathead VI...bought a pair a year ago (on clearance sale at 360 a piece + 25 for the yoke adapter) to use with my HP 117 doubles. Main usage has been shallow to deep and cool to cold water diving only. Love them.

HOG SE D2 Cold Water...recently acquired 2 X sets with 40 in LP hose, 6 in HP hose and SPGs to use on stage bottles. In a not so distant future, I will be diving them as part of my Adv Nitrox/Deco proc course and will be able to give them my impression. So far, all the reviews I have seen on the HOG are very positive.

Mares Abyss 22...familiar with it as it is what my GF/Diving buddy acquired in spring of 09. I have not heard any horror stories about it. Divers who own one seem to like it including my GF. I have seen it in use in warm, cool and cold water (ice diving) and on deep recreational dives as well.

All those regs come with lifetime warranties. For all of them, with the exception of HOG, annual servicing covers for the kits/parts that are required. On the other hand, what EDGE/HOG does instead is to provide reg repair /servicing clinics to technical divers who so desire to do their own maintenance and the service kits are readily available and very affordable.

+1 for the SP MK20/G250.
Nothing wrong with the AL Legend LX though.

I have dove a couple of different apeks and loved them. Very reliable at any depth/temp, and comfortable.
I also use Poseidon Odin jet stream , that I like a lot and is very reliable, but finicky. With that said once tuned properly, probably my favorite, for its proven reliability and deep, cold performance.

I use a Zeagle Flathead 7 for my primary, and a Flathead VI on my pony bottle. That gives me a nice reliable backup primary if something goes wrong while traveling. I'm partial to Zeagle, but Scubapro would probably have more service/parts support while overseas.

Zeagle rocks! I dive under ice and these Regs WORK flawlessly in actual freezing conditions in icy water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom