Zena.. the tank hits my head... How to lower it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've lowered the tank as low as I can but it still hits the back of my head.
You may have already thought of this but the process can feel counterintuitive. You need your BC to be HIGHER on your tank - but I think you've figured that out. My top cam band is barely holding on when I situate my BC on my tank. As someone else said, because there are two cam bands it almost doesn't matter where that top one hits.

The other thing is that I'd add a crotch strap. Even when everything is 'in place', if I go upside down or if there is air in my BC (rarely) it can hitch a little higher and I bang my head into it. The crotch strap revolutionized things for me. I recently got an extra BC as a backup and it also has a crotch strap (not a Zena). Having everything stay in place is a game changer for me.

Turn your regs upside down? That's what I do. Depending on the brand and model, it can lower the height considerably. You will then have to change the hoses around, but easy to do.

Hi all - Thanks for the replies. I did 2 more dives on 04/16/23 and i'm still hitting my head though not as bad. One of the women on the boat said she's got the same problem so now she got her own tanks, steel 80's with DIN valves. I usually rent so I actually converted my din reg to a yoke - easy enough to go back.

When I do lower the tank I get a secondary problem - I back end drops. UGG I can't win for losing here!
3 women on the boat had Zena's and all 3 said I have it adjusted perfectly.

I can't lower the bands because they go thru the bladder wing & help secure it in position. I can't do side mount. I just purchased this BC and it is the ONLY one that is remotely comfy with my back bolted together like it is, so I won't change this.

I guess I just have to swim at an angle for a while and be careful?

You may have already thought of this but the process can feel counterintuitive. You need your BC to be HIGHER on your tank - but I think you've figured that out.

The other thing is that I'd add a crotch strap.
Hi Kimela,
Yes I can't raise the BC any higher up than it is. I can't add a crotch strap to the Zena. I agree with you it's wonderful - I had it on my BPW which I can't use anymore.

Hi Kimela,
Yes I can't raise the BC any higher up than it is. I can't add a crotch strap to the Zena. I agree with you it's wonderful - I had it on my BPW which I can't use anymore.
Well, you CAN add a crotch strap, but you'll have to be creative in how you do it. That's what I did initially. When I had to get my Zena repaired I had them install a crotch strap. You could find a seamstress/tailor who works on dive gear who could add it for you.

Hi all - Thanks for the replies. I did 2 more dives on 04/16/23 and i'm still hitting my head though not as bad. One of the women on the boat said she's got the same problem so now she got her own tanks, steel 80's with DIN valves. I usually rent so I actually converted my din reg to a yoke - easy enough to go back.
Did you convert your reg using an adapter? Or by replacing the din section with a yoke section (done by a reg tech)? If the former, you loose at least 1/2 inch of head room that way. Most places that rent tanks have at least a few with pro-valves. You can remove your adapter, remove the insert on the pro-valve, and use it with the DIN directly. This should give you 1/2-3/4 inch more head room. Call ahead to make sure they reserve the pro-valve tanks for you.

Hi Kimela,
Move some of your weight up to shoulder height.
Does your Zena have trim pockets?
In other words if lowering tank to stop the head hitting causes your lower body to sink, then shift some of your weight higher on your body or tank?

You've had lots of great advice. FWIW, I had the same problem with my Zena until I sized down the waist piece of the Zena. Turns out my Zena was riding up because it was too loose, so sizing down solved the problem for me right away. YMMV. Good luck!

Move some of your weight up to shoulder height.
Does your Zena have trim pockets?
In other words if lowering tank to stop the head hitting causes your lower body to sink, then shift some of your weight higher on your body or tank?
Hi Chilly,
Yes, the Zena has 2 trim pockets on the cam bands. I took these and inverted them so the weights on my cam bands ride about an inch higher than before.

I did more pool dives with my LDS and the instructor said part of this is because I don't arch my lower back enough. He said my legs drop because my spine is straight... if I could tilt my bum up a little it would change the way my thighs exit my body. Unfortunately the spinal fusion I had in 2021 has bolted my S1-L3 bones into one "rod" up my arse... so I CAN'T Tilt my pelvis. He told me to practice a zillion times to train myself to do the frog kick differently, so instead of pushing forward I'd actually push a little forward and at an angle as well.

You've had lots of great advice. FWIW, I had the same problem with my Zena until I sized down the waist piece of the Zena. Turns out my Zena was riding up because it was too loose, so sizing down solved the problem for me right away. YMMV. Good luck!
Hi SeaDreaming - when you said waist piece, did you change the front zipper panel, or the back vest part? I feel like if it were possible to get the part with the tank on it (the vest & Bladder portion) to ride a little lower on my body, I'd be OK as far as the regs at the top of the tank hitting my head.

Back
Top Bottom