Zena.. the tank hits my head... How to lower it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a possible solution...just get some of these rings and you will develop all the clearance you need between your head and tank/valve/regulator:

1686593843074.png
1686593953258.png

-Z

...I did more pool dives with my LDS and the instructor said part of this is because I don't arch my lower back enough. He said my legs drop because my spine is straight... if I could tilt my bum up a little it would change the way my thighs exit my body. Unfortunately the spinal fusion I had in 2021 has bolted my S1-L3 bones into one "rod" up my arse... so I CAN'T Tilt my pelvis. He told me to practice a zillion times to train myself to do the frog kick differently, so instead of pushing forward I'd actually push a little forward and at an angle as well.
Arching your back isn't great advice even if you didn't have spinal fusion. That can lead to or exacerbate back issues.

It's much better to just stretch out without hyperextending. Flex your glutes if you can. Experiment with the position of your fins - with your legs extended straight back or lifting your knees and your calves at an angle that is comfortable and works for you.

If your ballast (including weights, bcd composition and height, tank and tank position) is in the right place for your body, you will be horizontal already. You won't really need to do anything or much to maintain it.
You can fight your ballast with body position, but it's much easier and more consistent if you start with a balanced, stable platform.

Start by hovering completely motionless without any correcting and see if you stay horizontal or start tipping head down or foot down.

That result above will inform you if you need to move any of your ballast lower or higher on your body. Some combination may work well for you.

Good luck!

Don’t want to hijack this thread but my wife has some Zena questions and this sounds like well informed group. She also has a Zena and while she loves it, we wish it was sized a bit better, Her main question is what are some options for either adding some pockets or D rings. Thanks!

Don’t want to hijack this thread but my wife has some Zena questions and this sounds like well informed group. She also has a Zena and while she loves it, we wish it was sized a bit better, Her main question is what are some options for either adding some pockets or D rings. Thanks!
You can add D-rings to the webbing of the shoulder strap. My hubby did this for me and it was so helpful - one on each side. I actually removed the two pockets on my Zena because they got in the way of cinching it tighter - and I never used them anyway as they're nice and tidy while not in use, but when you open them the mesh bag hangs so low it was a nuisance. I'll see if I can find a pic of my D-rings on the shoulder straps.

EDIT: Found a pic! What you're seeing is the right side (as you're wearing it) of the shoulder strap (note the flag). You can see that you can unweave the webbing through the plastic clips to then put the D-ring in place. Roger used a 1 1/2" belt slide to keep it in place. This made a big difference in my Zena. Happy that Roger likes to fiddle around with our gear. :)

1687106339765.png
1687110216087.png

You can add D-rings to the webbing of the shoulder strap. My hubby did this for me and it was so helpful - one on each side. I actually removed the two pockets on my Zena because they got in the way of cinching it tighter - and I never used them anyway as they're nice and tidy while not in use, but when you open them the mesh bag hangs so low it was a nuisance. I'll see if I can find a pic of my D-rings on the shoulder straps.
Thanks! I recognize your your name from the Cozumel forum and you always have great advice and chats, Looking forward to the pictures! When are you back in Coz? We have our next trip in October. We just got back from Bonaire and loved it as well, though Cozumel will always be #1, especially since it’s so close to us.

Thanks! I recognize your your name from the Cozumel forum and you always have great advice and chats, Looking forward to the pictures! When are you back in Coz? We have our next trip in October. We just got back from Bonaire and loved it as well, though Cozumel will always be #1, especially since it’s so close to us.
We will be back in July and then probably again in November. We try not to book during Day of the Dead because prices end up higher. We haven't been to Bonaire it was on our list for a long time ... and then we sort of got lazy and keep booking Cozumel. It's easy and there's never a 'bad' dive (for us anyway). Oh, I'll bet for you Cozumel is a direct flight - lucky ducks!

What do you think of the D-ring placement? I'm surprised Zeagle doesn't already have a set there. I know the excess shoulder strap hangs over where the D-ring is, but it's so useful. I think your wife will really appreciate them. Also, if your wife has an interest in a crotch strap you can send the BC into zeagleexpress.com and they can install one for her. My bladder somehow got punctured and I decided to send it to them to replace the bladder and, at the same time I had them put in a crotch strap. I had been using one that we'd rigged through the tank straps - it worked but I wanted something more reliable. Love it!

Good luck! Hope to see you both in Cozumel someday. :)

Thanks, Yes I think your D-ring idea is great and I should be able to replicate that, kinda what I was thinking. Definitely give Bonaire a try. We loved getting up and deciding on our own where to go, and when. So many sites that you literally can back up and be about 20 steps to the waters edge. Many were very easy to get in. Kinda fun to be on your own as well, and with 0 current really take your time to explore.

EDIT: Found a pic! What you're seeing is the right side (as you're wearing it) of the shoulder strap (note the flag). You can see that you can unweave the webbing through the plastic clips to then put the D-ring in place. Roger used a 1 1/2" belt slide to keep it in place. This made a big difference in my Zena. Happy that Roger likes to fiddle around with our gear. :)

View attachment 788416View attachment 788420
This is AWESOME thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom