zipper question--what's the point of back zips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only if you have someone to zip it for you. If you end up doing the job yourself, then you can't see when it's spread too far apart or obstructed and often end up having to use brute force to zip it.

Not necessarily. There is a technique to self donning and zipping a back zip. It's easily done without having to use brute force. In fact, you should never force the zip.

Not necessarily. There is a technique to self donning and zipping a back zip. It's easily done without having to use brute force. In fact, you should never force the zip.

Nothing anywhere near as easy or surefire as a zipper you can see, touch and clear away obstructions from. Back zips aren't always all that easy even with a helper. I often find that that second or third layer of undergarments makes for a tight zip.

On drysuit with back mounted waterproof zipper, the zipper runs horizontally across the shoulders. It is easier to get into than a front zipper where the zipper run from your left shoulder to your right hip. Getting in is probably a little easier than getting out. Getting in is by stepping into the legs first, then the left arm, then the right and then pulling the neck seal on. Zipping up is easy enough but you have to grab the top of the zip with the left hand, otherwise you put strain on the zip. To get out you have to take your head out and then your wrist from the right cuff seal. then you have to wiggle you arm while dropping you shoulder to get the arm out. The left then comes out quite easily.

With the back zipper, you step into the legs first and then the arms in any order. The head is then quite easy. There also have people fastening the zipper unassisted by hooking it onto a fixed object behind you and twisting. If you don't have something suitable, you won't be able to do this. The other problem is without being able to see what you are doing, you risk trapping the under suit in the zipper and potentially damaging it.

We are just recommend the dryusuit with back zipper, even the back zipper is more difficult to wear, but it is more durable life time than a front zipper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, elmer fudd, it seems to come down to personal preference. I don't like front zips. I need help getting out of the suit since I can't pull it off my shoulders. I can pull a back zip off my shoulders, but I might need help zipping up. Either way people need assistance, and I prefer to need it for zipping rather than unzipping when I'm generally in a big rush to get to where I can pee :wink:

Well, elmer fudd, it seems to come down to personal preference. I don't like front zips. I need help getting out of the suit since I can't pull it off my shoulders. I can pull a back zip off my shoulders, but I might need help zipping up. Either way people need assistance, and I prefer to need it for zipping rather than unzipping when I'm generally in a big rush to get to where I can pee :wink:

My wife has caused muscle spasms in her neck getting in and out of front zips and has even had to call dives because of it. Back zips are much easier to get over the head. And while I did have some minor issues trying to self zip at first, I found the proper technique and have no issues now.

Personally, I like a front zip in a drysuit and no zip at all in a wetsuit. It's not the be all and end all though and I still chose a drysuit with a backzip.

I also very much preferred my O'Neil J-suit, (backzip), to my SeaQuest farmer John, (front zip), but in the course of 200 dives or so I did manage to break the zip on it. Not because I forced it, but because the lanyard got caught in a car door during a surface interval and when I stepped away it broke the metal loop that the lanyard attaches to right off the zipper tag.

I have front zip vertical, front zip horizontal and back zip. Each has is own issues, pick your poison.

The back zip is really tough to tuck in a hood (solo) and the neck is a little tight across the front, but its water tight. I also look fat in it (I do carry a bit extra).
The vertical front zip is a FJ+J, the zipper probably passes some water but the farmer john provides a redundant layer, a the cost of a few extra lbs of weight.
The horz front zip has a bib and integrated hood, also water tight. Getting in is easy, getting out requires some gymnastics.

For tropical diving, I've been wearing the Lava Core trousers and pull-on top. I'm plenty warm and there are no zips at all. My worst problem with this option is finding enough hangers to hang up two garments rather than one. I also think there's a difference between the relative difficulty of front/back zips for drysuits and wetsuits. Drysuits are just harder to put on and take off, regardless of how they zip.

For tropical diving, I've been wearing the Lava Core trousers and pull-on top. I'm plenty warm and there are no zips at all. My worst problem with this option is finding enough hangers to hang up two garments rather than one. I also think there's a difference between the relative difficulty of front/back zips for drysuits and wetsuits. Drysuits are just harder to put on and take off, regardless of how they zip.

I always liked the two piece suits. Not because they were better for diving, but because they're better for other beach activities. I wear the bottoms for wading in cold water and leave the top off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom