zipper question--what's the point of back zips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a different experience with zipper placement in a wetsuit. I tried a custom wetsuit with a zipper in front (7mm in S Cal) and found cold water entering into the sensitive chest area. I had it changed to back zip and am much happier with that. The front zipper was also horizontal while the rear is vertical.

My drysuit is a Fusion, and even in my less nimble years, I can get zipped and unzipped (usually) by myself. But with wetsuits and skins, I can easily get in and out of a back zip, but cannot, as hard as I try, get in and out of a front zip by myself. Just can't get it over my shoulders. Now this was not a problem on my last trip where the station next to me was occupied but a cute young lady......

According to Connie at Wetwear, the front zippered wetsuit is actually much harder to get on and off then the back zipper...harder to get over the shoulders. But obviously easier to zip. I have found this true with my wetsuits/skins. Don't know about dry suits.
Not sure i can agree. My front zip wetsuit is very easy to get on, no issues at all. It is just slightly harder to get off. I can don and doff by myself with no assistance.

it is a custom fit 7 mil shorty with the front zipper splitting one of the legs. The combo of shorty and custom fit means that as soon as I pull my arm out just a little, the sleave is now loose all the way up my arm. Same goes for the solid leg. The reverse also makes it very quick to get into as the sleeves and leg do not tighten until the last few inches.

I think the struggle most people encounter is more to do with fit as opposed to zipper placement.

I detest front-zip wetsuits because I need help taking them off--getting them on is okay. I just can't get them off over my shoulders, and because they're tight on the arms, I can't just shrug out of them as I would a coat or a dress. I will never again own a front-zip wetsuit any thicker than a stretchy skin suit. The one I still have (a custom made with the zip going from shoulder to opposite hip, so neither a fit nor a zip placement issue) I now use only in pool sessions where I don't have to put it on and take it off several times a day.

I've come to prefer no zip at all and doubly so when it comes to ankle zippers.

Zippers are a potential failure point and a place for cold water to get in. I don't find they're even necessary for ease of use. I find it easier to get in and out of my free dive suit than any of my others.

It's too bad there's no good alternative to them when it comes to drysuits.

Another consideration is that front zip suits generally have longer zippers, in my experience, which translates to more expense to the manufacturer.

All my front zip are for dive or kayaking, and all my back zip are for diving and surfing. I agree that the front zip wetsuits are harder to take of (for me) than back zip are.

I'll add "thermal protection" in to the mix. Your back is covered by BCD and tank and so sees less water movement, which means less water exchange through the zipper. Your front is exposed and so sees more of all that.

most quality semi dry suits have a waterproof ti-zip but probably only backzip not frontzip style i dont know any frontzip with waterproof ti zip. anyone knows any ?

Manufacturers who make wetsuits for both surf and dive advertise different neoprene based on the sport.

O'Neill, a terrific manufacturer, doesn't recommend their surf suits for diving and vice-versa.

Because laying on a zipper (as on a surfboard) is incredibly uncomfortable and wetsuit manufacturers don't want to change their machines for different sports.

Some people say they use different neoprene for the different water sports, but that hasn't been my experience...

According to Connie at Wetwear, the front zippered wetsuit is actually much harder to get on and off then the back zipper...harder to get over the shoulders. But obviously easier to zip. I have found this true with my wetsuits/skins. Don't know about dry suits.

Yup... Years ago, my down-south suits (I dive dry at home) had front zips and they were a pain to get off of my shoulders. I'm sure that cosmetics etc. had some bearing for the manufacturers, but for "us" it makes sense...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom