Zipper Wax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone says beeswax, but I don't get it. I mean I've got it and have used it, but what does it do? It's crumbly and falls out right away. It doesn't seem to make the zipper open and close any easier, not that I can tell anyway.
When a zipper wears out, the rubber part starts to frey. After some time, the freying gets to the teeth and it starts to leak, or it pulls apart. I don't think the metal wears out so much as the soft rubber deteriorates.
The beeswax only gets on the outside of the metal and between the teeth. Wax is kinda stiff, so it falls out in little chunks, or stays wedged in the zipper where it can hold foreign matter. Then to clean it out you need to brush across the teeth, which I would think is hard on the rubber.
Beeswax also gets brittle when cold, although it is waterproof.
Superior Diving sent me some liquid stuff that had the texture of tapioca. Once applied, the zipper opened and closed as easy as the zipper on my winter coat and cleaned up easily.
Wouldn't a good zipper product have those qualities, as well as some kind of rubber conditioner/protector like Seal Saver?

Bees wax is a tad stickier than regular candle/canning wax, so it will hang in there better. It also likes to hang onto the dirt better too.
An old toothbrush works fine to clean the teeth, just brush in 1 direction.
YKK, the zipper manufacturer, recommends the liquid stuff plus the wax stick.
That being said, as long as you take proper care of your zipper (CLEAN is the magic word) it should last you for years & years, even using the "stoneage" stuff like beeswax.
McNett, the folks of Aqua Seal fame, have some really good zipper care goodies out. Look for it at your local shop.
http://www.mcnett.com/
Remember, a little TLC goes a long ways on zippers. It's also a lot cheaper than replacing the zipper.

Thanks. I picked up my dry suit yesterday and the LDS owner gave me some Zipper Ease.. it's small stick... Zipper works great and LDS owner gave me some good advice on taking care of the zipper since it costs $350 to replace it. Thanks everyone for you help and suggestions

I guess when I finally get around to extracting the honey that I have laying up in the barn, I'll have a big wad of removed wax. I'll warm it and cast it into bars and sell it here on the site as zipper wax! Watch later in the spring divers, and I'll make it available at a low cost to those who want it. Just have to buy a mold to pour it into (candle mold should work) and package it in ziplock bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom