Fish ID help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the help everyone! To make my life better and increase my knowledge, I've ordered the Reef fish ID, coral ID, and reef critter books:D

If you are keen on the critters, like myself, you will love the Humann books.

If you are keen on the critters, like myself, you will love the Humann books.

Craracer says he had a set, but he gave them away. :rofl3: (A long story!)

Looks like you got your IDs from everyone. FYI, never, never, never touch a fireworm (aka Bristleworm). They are extremely poisonous and very painful. I've never been stung, but a couple of people I know have and they are more afraid of this small animal than anything else in the ocean.

Can you remember what sites you were on when you took these photos, or at least which side of the island?

:eek:fftopic: Heya Arch - we have been inundated with the "Pink Meanie" here. Bad stuff. Have you heard of them?

Was reading about them today after you brought them up. I don't think I've ever seen one... only seen a Lion's Mane once.

Why are they called "pink meanies"?

Was reading about them today after you brought them up. I don't think I've ever seen one... only seen a Lion's Mane once.

Why are they called "pink meanies"?

I can get the info if you'd like. Anywhoozle, they often have a slightly pink cast to them and their sting is a pretty mean one hence, the "Pink Meanie". It is actually a new type of medusa. We saw loads and their tentacles are super long - nasty looking things they are. I was stung by a sea nettle a few weeks back - that was painful. I couldn't fathom being nailed by one of these guys.

Let me go get the link for the meanie.

Edited to add:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3816914-post91.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3818867-post95.html

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

CRARacer, hope you don't mind us hi-jacking your thread :blush:

Craracer says he had a set, but he gave them away.
Yea, dumb me.:shakehead: I bought them as a "thanks for all of your hard work" for my diving instructor in Jamaica.

FYI, never, never, never touch a fireworm (aka Bristleworm).
Then I'm glad I have a personal policy to never touch anything unless I know what it is and am sure that I won't hurt it.:eyebrow:

Can you remember what sites you were on when you took these photos, or at least which side of the island?

I took over 500 photos so I can't tell you exactly where I shot them at. But, I can tell you the dive sites. During the first few days of diving we had a super DM, but he went on vacation and we were stuck with a dud. Therefore, we ended up diving the same sites several times, not that that is a bad thing. All of my diving was at Fantasy Island, next to CCV.

Here's the list from my log book: (I may not have the names exactly correct)
Connie's Dream
Valley of the Kings
Neuman's wall
Mary's Place (highly recommended dive spot!)
40ft Point
Anka's Place
Missing Link
Calvin's Crack
Carib Point
Inside Outside
The wreck of Prince Albert (another great dive. Especially along the line returning to the gazebo)
Big French Cay Bank
Little French Cay Wall to 40ft Point
The wreck of Mr. Bud

Here's a photo of the dive sites listed on the wall of the dive shop

Attachments

• DSC00244.jpg
    DSC00244.jpg
    414.8 KB · Views: 34
All of those critters inhabit any of the South side dive spots~ they're numerous. The Jelly I have only seen in the shallow channel area between CCV & FIBR.

Man- y'all can keep that Pink Meanie critter.

CRARacer, hope you don't mind us hi-jacking your thread
Not at all. I enjoy conversations that roll from one topic to another.

Hey Doc: What's the story behind this? I found it on the deck of PA. I'm assuming it's a memorial to a diver?

Attachments

• A memorial to a diver upon the deck of Prince Albert.jpg
    A memorial to a diver upon the deck of Prince Albert.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 41
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom