Not within the realms of sanity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/treks/palautz97/cmd.html

:confused:

A friend of mine in Bermuda sent me this article. I'm not sure if its been mentioned here before but IMO this guy is completely crazy. You need to print it and read (it's 14 pages long). Read it and see why I think that he is nutzzz...

It is very well written and a compelling read!

Thanks for the "find" Jim!

Wow. That was the most appallingly fascinating article I've read in a while. I just kept saying to myself, "No, he didn't!"

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting. We see Jack Randall around diving from time to time.

Fascinating read.

Especially given who wrote it and what he's credited for :)

jeckyll:
Fascinating read.

Especially given who wrote it and what he's credited for :)

That is what is so astonishing! I am an amateur ichthyologist (which is why I started diving!) and have read much of his work. He just knew that he could not stop diving. What drive! If it had been me, I would have been cleaning filters and scraping algae off the glass of the aquaria!

Thank you for the link. I have printed it and will read it tonight. I skimmed it and it does sound quite interesting.

Richard Pyle is one of the great pioneers of diving. His risk tolerance and willingness to experiment with his own body for the sake of discovering new deep coral reef species is beyond belief. Alot of what has become SOP in today's technical diving was first tried by him. E.g. he practically invented the deep stop. While his name is not a household word, in some circles its similar to Curie.

Thanks for posting this article. I read every word in stunned amazement. I am convinced that overconfidence is an experienced diver's worst enemy. Richard's account is a stark reminder to me to be ever mindful of the inherent hazards of our wonderful sport, and to pay humble homage to the physics of breathing gas under pressure.

I think I'll stay above 130 FSW.

That dude is crazy!! I couldn't believe the kind of dives he was pulling consecutively like that....and after his recovery, doing the 300+ foot dives on air...WOW!!!

BIG BRASS ONES for sure...:confused: :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom