Fatality off of Lake Worth beach - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From: Lantana man, 28, dies while diving near Lake Worth beach
A 28-year-old Lantana man died Saturday morning while diving about a mile off of the Lake Worth beach, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office confirmed.

Robert A. Jezewski was spearfishing and hunting lobster in about 120 feet of water when he did not resurface, sheriff's spokeswoman Teri Barbera said.

He was diving with his father and was on his second dive of the day. He was last seen alive at about 10 a.m. Saturday, Barbera said.

When Jezewski did not come up, his father summoned for help and began searching for him. His body was found about 300 yards from the dive site, unresponsive and submerged on the bottom.

He had no medical problems and was described as an experienced diver, Barbera said. Investigators do not suspect foul play, she said. However, the case will remain open until an autopsy is completed.

A woman reached this evening at the home of Jezewski's parents said that the family did not wish to comment at this time.

A family-placed obituary described him as 'an avid diver, fisherman and all around sportsman with a zest for life.'

Jezewski, the son of Todd and Nerissa Jezewski, was an entrepreneur and a journeyman pipefitter for Local Union 821 for the Riviera Beach-based Farmer & Irwin Corp., the obituary said.

A celebration of his life will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Holy Spirit Catholic Church, 1000 Lantana Road in Lantana.

It would certainly be much better to get the reports from knowledgeable dives with local information. It's unfortunate that we have to start with online news articles. :shakehead:

I'm sure others could learn if more info were made available. :idk: There are some obvious suspicions already evident here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would certainly be much better to get the reports from knowledgeable dives with local information. It's unfortunate that we have to start with online news articles. :shakehead:

I'm sure others could learn if more info were made available. :idk: There are some obvious suspicions already evident here.

What are the "obvious suspicions" ????

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was already posted, I missed it, but I'll ask, What day did this happen?

If it was already posted, I missed it, but I'll ask, What day did this happen?
From line one of the article...
A 28-year-old Lantana man died Saturday morning...
And the news story is linked.

so what are the suspicions???

so what are the suspicions???
Suspicions are unspoken speculations, but it doesn't seem that we are going to get more info on this loss so it's just so much guess work - more to think about safer diving that an attempt at analysis...

Under 30 and indestructible. Hell, I had that problem into my 50s when I started scuba with a Resort Course dive to 100 ft.

Ignored his OW training to dive alone. Yeah, I know that hunters usually do, and we do not know his training or experience level, or even what happened to him - but solo diving in 120 feet of water does included severe risks, and Florida hunting is infamous for claiming divers every year.

I suspect he did not have a pony bottle, just because most don't.

And I'd best that his weights were still attached, as is usually the case.

What are yours...?

Suspicions are unspoken speculations, but it doesn't seem that we are going to get more info on this loss so it's just so much guess work - more to think about safer diving that an attempt at analysis...

Under 30 and indestructible. Hell, I had that problem into my 50s when I started scuba with a Resort Course dive to 100 ft.

Ignored his OW training to dive alone. Yeah, I know that hunters usually do, and we do not know his training or experience level, or even what happened to him - but solo diving in 120 feet of water does included severe risks, and Florida hunting is infamous for claiming divers every year.

I suspect he did not have a pony bottle, just because most don't.

And I'd best that his weights were still attached, as is usually the case.

What are yours...?

I have no suspicions. You claimed to have some previously. From what we read he was diving alone in 120 feet. From what I understand his dad went down and recovered the body himself.. We were out diving that day in the area and saw the helicopter buzzing around. Conditions were not unusal that day with regard to the dive conditions, sea state or weather.

It seems that there has been zero information released that would allow anything other than the most crude (and worthless) speculations in this case.

Back
Top Bottom