Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Accident in Brockville

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Accident in Brockville

There was a fatal accident on the Daryaw in Brockville yesterday morning. I was diving in Brockville this weekend and have interviewed witnesses. The Ontario Underwater Council is conducting an investigation and preparing an Incident Report.
    Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. B.F. Skinner

big fleshy monster
    Go Red - Support SB!

F&AM #105

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Sorry to hear that news.

I'm very curious to hear what went wrong; I've read a lot of posts here discussing why rebreathers are a big risk. Simultaneously an LDS is pushing Poseidon rebreather rigs pretty hard making it tempting to try.

Registered

knows water is life

Dives
    500 - 999
    Sad to hear, I was down in B town this weekend.
    Water dissolving and water removing There is water at the bottom of the ocean (Talking Heads)

Senior Moderator

Learning Japanese

Moderator's Comments:
    I changed the title from Rebreather Diver Accident in Brockville to Accident in Brockville
    Last edited by Pedro Burrito; July 4th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Doppler likes this.

New User

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    my bad... that was on old article..

here is it, no details at all. Man dies after diving accident | Local | News | Brockville Recorder

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Thank you Pedro. I knew the questions would come in right away about what equipment the diver was using and I simply put rebreather. It was not intended as some sort of judgement whatsoever, which is also why I did not name the manufacturer.

Steve, you're being overly sensitive, IMHO. I can answer most of your questions, but I have not decided yet what should be shared before the report comes out, due to exactly what has happened in this thread already. If you want to speak privately, we can do that. We have a rb instructor and rb pilots on hand that we are consulting. All equipment was secured at the scene, is in police custody and will be examined by experts of their choosing.
    Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. B.F. Skinner

Registered

A missed dive is a
    lost adventure

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    I think it is relevant to put that this was a rebreather accident, just as much it would be to say it was a snorkelling accident or a free-diving accident rather than scuba diving.
    Michael
    Sydney, Australia
    There is no such thing as a bad dive, just some that are better than others

Senior Moderator

Learning Japanese

Moderator's Comments:
    Please focus on the specific accident.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by gianaameri View Post
    Hence, I ask publicly, rather than by PM, do we know which rebreather was involved in the fatality (now that it appears to be publicly established that a rebreather was actually involved)?
    Yes, it was a Poseidon. The investigation is far from over, however. Very briefly, the victim became unresponsive at depth with the loop out of his mouth. Unsuccessful attempts were made to give him a bailout bottle, and he was brought up. He was administered CPR, was defibrillated, transported to the hospital and was unfortunately pronounced dead. A preliminary OUC Incident Report will be published once the investigation is at least mostly complete.

On behalf of the OUC, I express my sincere condolences to the victim's family and friends, many of whom are reading this thread. Please keep it respectful. If anyone has information they would like to share, please feel free to PM me or post here, thank you.

Divemaster
    Badge

has set a status

Dives
    500 - 999
    Does anyone have anything to say about the incident in question?
    ScubaSteve likes this.
    "You may not agree with everything I say but at the very least you'll come to understand that your differing opinion is wrong"

Best SB post ever: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3443054-post47.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast