Smaller set of doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a set of dbl HP130 that I get a good 3-4 1+hr shore dives or 2 tank big dive charter out of, and looking for a second set of smaller tanks for primarily shore diving/1 tank boat dives while the 130s are unavailable while being filled.

I stumbled on this thread (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-and-bands/449338-tiny-doubles.html) and got me thinking of smaller LP tanks.

I like my 130's, and use a 12ish lb v weight. But I don't need that much gas (or weight) climbing around on awkward sharp rocks.

I've been doing the dives I'm talking about with an AL80 and a slung AL40 and have about 30-50cuft of gas left after a typical dive, and wouldn't mind loosing the clutter of the stage and extra reg.

Any recommendations?

On another note, I've been noticing that LP tanks aren't being advertised with some retailers lately. Are they being phased out?

I dive double lp45s and love them. 100 cubic feet with complete redundancy.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

We have two sets of the old, very low pressure (2200) 72s as doubles. My husband adores them; I do not, because they don't trim out well for me, although I can dive them if I can get enough weight hanging off the bottom bolt. But they are small and relatively light, and you can get two shallow dives out of them.

If you are coming back with 30-50cuft of gas in 80's, a set of lp45's or 50's will be an insufficient gas supply...ie. You are using more gas than those tanks hold. Go with the 72's as Lynne suggested or stick with the 80's.

On another note...what kind of suit are you wearing that requires a 12lb v weight with doubled 130's? That seems like a ton of weight to me.

I have 2 old steel 50 cuft tanks I use as ID's, they are light and I get 100cuft of air with redundancy. They are a little buoyant when empty but not any more than an al80. They are hard to find however.

In my opinion LP 85's are the perfect small set they are long enough to provide trim adjustment and when pushed a little ample gas.
I love the 45 / 50's as well but use them in the SM configuration.
Once you try the 85's you might decide its easier to own two sets of them instead of HP 130's.

One thing to think about LP 85's and LP 108's dive very close to the same, different a bit but very close.
That is my choice but as stated it's only my opinion and what works best for me.

CamG

my preferred doubles tanks are LP72's, absolutely adore them, best part is they are incredibly cheap. This is what I use during any open water training diving where I have to be in backmount but don't need crazy amounts of gas

I used to use double 72s, then I tried double AL80s and to me they are a lot better. This is counterintuitive because single 72s are WAY better for me than single AL80s. So I'd recommend double AL80s. The tanks might cost a bit more than LP72s, but you'll likely save money on the bands because there are zillions of sets of 7.25" bands available used. 7" bands are harder to find at a deal.

what about the double 72's didn't work for you? I actually got mine as a set of doubles, but the bands can be a bit awkward to find. What I love about mine is they are actually the narrow bands/manifold so the tanks are the same spacing as 8" bottles when doubled up which makes them that much better for me.

...what kind of suit are you wearing that requires a 12lb v weight with doubled 130's? That seems like a ton of weight to me.

It does sound like a lot, but when those tanks get below 100bar, it balances out.

Fusion or DUI drysuits with thick undergarments for our balmy 4-7C salt water.

Ran some gas calcs, and HP72/80 and LP85 would do the trick for a full 32% dive (I don't have data for LP72). Also HP100 but the fabers are pretty heavy (but wouldn't need much lead) ......

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom