How I spent Monday (and why the theme hasn't changed)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
"Pack a bag, I'm taking you away tomorrow" he said
"Where are we going" I ask "what do I need to pack?"
"Just snorkelling gear and normal clothes. We're going to check out a possible liveaboard area, but we won't dive this time"
"OK"

Monday morning...whisked off the airstrip. I expect the float plane and some other people as he's been out earlier this month checking some things out. No float plane, just a little Cessna. OK. In we hop. Glorious day - you can see for miles, the ocean is blue, we watch some whales.

Pislands.jpg

Land in Onslow - a town a zillion miles from anything. On to a hire boat. I'm thinking - this crossing is gonna suck, I sure hope Dave knows where he's going! But no, we get a skipper, too. Off we go - nice crossing. Nothing for miles. An island...one house.

Pshack.jpg

We land on the beach - I'm glad we didn't bring scuba...there's a good sized dune to climb up to the beach shack. Nothing else on the island but a rain water tank. Our skipper helps us unload, shows us the pump and gas then heads off. We are now officially deserted. It's wonderful. We wander around the shack poking in cupboards, stowing the food and drinks & change into beach wear.

We head up onto the balcony to check out the scenery - pretty durned nice. From there we can see our nearest neighbour...also deserted islands!
Pneighbours.jpg

A big flock of pelicans is lazily circling about 100 meters from the balcony so we grab a couple of chairs and watch them for a while. Neither of us can remember the last time we simply did nothing...

Dave says let's go for a walk. Sounds good.

Now, we are pretty spoiled when it comes to beaches already. We rarely see anyone else on "our" beach when we take the dogs down. But there's nothing like knowing you are really the only people around and that no one will unexpectedly show up! Bliss.

The island is home to a tremendous amount of bird life - wishing I had my new toy!! Also very pretty shells that we don't see and other neat flotsam.

This was one of the more disgusting things we found (sorry, Leslie!)...it was all creepy crawly and I wasn't game to get too close!

Picky.jpg

Picky2.jpg

Dave found this great crab shell a bit farther down...
Pcrab.jpg

...as I'm taking a photo he calls out "Look what else I've found!"

I hurry over...

...he's kneeling down in the sand, gently moving some shells and then lifts up a big empty clam shell...

Pringshells.jpg

Will you marry me?
Pring.jpg

:) :D ;D

So we are official!! We spent the rest of the day just hanging out, drinking champagne on the balcony
Pbalcony.jpg

and just generally enjoying the heck out of ourselves. It was excellent - the perfect setting, the perfect company, the perfect day...he done good!

We crossed back to reality the next morning & our pilot got the nod from Dave...Yes, she said "yes!" The owners of the plane service had thoughtfully provided more champagne for us to enjoy on the flight back home!

Pplanetoast.jpg

And were there to greet us and congratulate us when we landed.

So, that's how I spent my Monday :)

Now...I can hear some of you saying..."hmmm, I thought they were married?" So, short and sweet - yes, we actually had our 10th anniversary in January. But we've never done the proposal or the ceremony or a celebration with friends and family. Just never had the time, resources or patience to plan a multi-continent event! But now we are at a point where we can concentrate more on ourselves and it's time for us to do all the things that "normal" people do before raising a family, buying houses, running businesses etc LOL.

I had absolutely no idea that this was in the works. Turns out even my Dad was involved in the lengthy (and very secretive) planning.

Dave and I are both over the moon with this event - and I had to share! I haven't had time to do much since we got back, but I will get the theme changed soon, I promise! Sorry this is so long!!

very nice, alcina!

the best to you both

Congratulations - again :D. I hope I can find a shell with treasure in it like that.

I saw the ring before I saw the text....and thought what are the chances of that happening???

How Romantic! Didn't know Dave had it in him...he'll have to give my guy a few pointers :wink:

Congrats Girlfriend, I'm so happy for you....When will the big day be??

Congratulations Alcina.

Although I have to say it looks like someone stole Dave and replaced him with Merv Hughes...

Azza:
looks like someone stole Dave and replaced him with Merv Hughes...

here's Dave and a friend of mine a while back... he does look like Merv:

Me_Merv.sized.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom