What are the Keys like in early March? Would you stay at more than 1 place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alashas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

We are considering a dive trip to the Keys during Spring Break in early March for a week. From reading various trip reports and other links to the Keys, it sounds as though there can be quite a bit of variation in weather. How bad can the weather be in early March? Do you recommend diving elsewhere in the Caribbean during that time period? We range from newbies to around 40 dives, and we have done a few drift dives in Fiji.

Also, we have one week, do you recommend staying at one location, or stay at several different spots along the Keys?

Thanks, alashas

I remember a lot of wind over the last two years... but from what I've seen the Keys is almost immune to poor visibility kicked up by normal chop.

Don't worry about anything like "The Perfect Storm" but it can sometimes get bouncy, especially on smaller six-packs. This is not to say you won't have perfect stretches of ideal diving days. I would bring my favoriate sea-sickness remedy (non-drowsey, like Bonine is good) but by all means I would go if the charter is going.

The water will still be chilly by our standards, but depending on what you're used to you should be OK in a 3/2 mil suit. If you run colder than average, go heavier, and if you run warmer than average I even see t-shirts & shorts in March. Bring wind breakers for the surface intervals.

There are a few "advanced" dives around Key Largo and operators often deny new divers for them, so you will want to understand your group WELL before committing to any trips. I suggest you list every diver's highest certification, last "deep dive" (70' or more), and whether they have a dive log that will demonstrate they have the experience to do an unsupervised dive on the deeper wrecks. Then, call around to see who qualifies for what dives.

If they do not have the experience, you'll want to schedule them for something they will be permitted to do while the more advanced divers go for the more advanced dives (there are plenty of easy dives, but stay away from the snorkel boats). Dive operators will also permit you to hire local guides for underexperienced divers, if you want to keep the group together. It's a little complicated, I know, but that's what you have to deal with when you go with a diverse group so everybody gets the best experience they're qualified for.

As far as going different places, we dive a lot in Key Largo but there is a very good day of diving down at Looe Key, about 30 minutes north of Key West. Looe Key is shallow and not advanced.

So, if I were planning a trip, I would do Key Largo a few days, a day at Looe Key, and then a day/night in Key West to off-gas before flying home. I'd make sure I did the Spiegel Grove and Dwaine (both advanced) in Key Largo, Looe Key down south, and then relaxed with adult beverages and cigars for a day and night in Key West.

Ahhhhh. Cigars and black russians at sunset!:wink:

I agree with MikeJacobs - However, I would advise you that MOST dive ops require that you have AOW C-Cards to even dive the Grove.

Most of the reef dives are shallow, easy, and there's no drifting involved.

If you like drift diving... check out the east coast of FL between West Palm and Ft Lauderdale.

As for exposure suit... I would wear a full suit even in March... it doesn't get that warm until later in the year.

I would also have alternate plans in mind. I've been blown out twice in Key Largo in March.

Thanks, everyone, for your valuable input about the Keys. We've decided to go to Bonaire in March and try the Keys a little later in the yr.

MikeJ, your info is very useful and I've saved it for future reference.

Thanks again, alashas

http://community.webshots.com/user/suelarhast

Good idea...you will freeze your butt off in March (I am just a skinny girl diving in a full wet suit in the dead of Summer but still). Silent World Dive Center did not ask for advanced OW before taking us to the Grove or Duane but it was on a VERY calm day. Have fun in Belize and hope you get to the Keys soon.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom