portable storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kapula

Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya!
I'm looking for a usb portable hard drive to store my photos in. I tried to browse a few web shops here in Finland but had little luck. I know those hdd's are out there but don't know wich manufacturers make them and so on. I can live with 20-40Gb disk but it needs to handle pictures straight from my camera or card. I found some docking stations that you can dock a portable hdd. The station then manages storing pictures on hdd. So specs for my picture storage are:
  • reads cf card or camera via usb
  • has it's own power source
  • has a hdd
  • at least 10Gb (shouldn't be a problem)
  • no need for a high end expensive features

Thanks in advance!

I use a Nexto CF card reader/portabe harddrive. It is basically an enclosure with a built in CF card reader. You can add your own preferred 2.5 inch hard drive to the unit. I think the current firmware allows upto 130GB hard drive. I have a 100 GB hard drive in it. It is incredibly fast even with my slow 4GB card, it takes several minutes to download the whole card ( in comparison to 20-60 minutes on most other portable hard drive units). It has built in rechargable batteries which is good for several downloads and optional battery pack if neccessary. It has only one button so it is very simple to use. The only downside is that you can't see the picture.
If you need something that will let you store as well as view picture, Epson unit is supposed to be very good as well.

I have one of these critters: http://www.xs-drive.com/xsdrivepro/
I paid about $50 for it w/o a hard drive. It's a pretty basic unit; turn it on, press button & wander off.
Works great on Linux, too. :wink:

I have been thinking of the same problem. I hate lugging the laptop through airports and such. Even with a 2gig card in the camera it fills up fast, especially shooting RAW.

I just got the new video iPod. It has a optional accessory (usb connector) that you can get to download the pictures right from your camera. Plus you can listen to your music and even audio books during the trip. The 60gig unit wasn't cheap ($400) but it Rocks!!

get the ipod photo. It has a little port that allows you to download straight from memory disks to the ipod. they have 60gb version which is very small in size and extremely portable. You can even take it on a boat in a dry box and clear you memory card between dives. Along with being able to listen to music and view you pictures with the ipod.

I'd suggest this is probably one of the better solutions, but can be a little more pricey than the others suggested.

I have the Archos Gmini 400 and I love it. I'ts like the ipod so you can listen to music, books and watch movies etc. You can record direct from ANY source (tv, radio, cd player) not just your computer and I use this feature quite often...sure beats having to muck around sometimes. You can put movies on it too - great for on the plane etc. I haven't used that feature, but sat next to a guy in the airport recently who did and the picture was definitely watchable. Has a CF card reader built in so there's not extra bits to drag around/lose. Battery seems to last forever. But this is a more expensive option than a hard drive or burner.

On the other hand, I use mine every day so to me the cost is well worth it. I don't think I would use a HD or burner all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom