Vyper vs. Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darylm74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, my birthday is coming up in March and my best friend is the manager of a dive shop and wanted to get me a dive computer. He said he'd either get me the Vyper or Mosquito. I guess the question here is how many of you out there have a computer like the Mosquito that doubles as your wrist watch and how do you like that? I'm trying to figure out the pros and con's of each side.

Note: I have an Oceanic VEO200 that is less than a year old. I don't really see much difference between it and the Vyper except for a difference in algorithms.

I hate being put in situations where I am so darn indecisive.

We were just looking at the same considerations. We ended up going with the Suunto Stinger (got a amazing price from the LDS). We went with the Stinger as it provides more long term flexibility. If we decide to upgrade to air integrated at some future point, the size and flexibility of the smaller wrist size is a plus.

I've owned both. I used the Vyper and liked it because the face was larger and I, lets just say, may need reading enhancement devices soon.

The Mosquito is pretty small. My daughter dives it and likes it fine. If the size doesn't bother you I think they are essentially identical (neither will take you into trimix).

The Mosquito is just too dang small! I mean, if you want to walk around with the thing all day and have it double as your wristwatch, that's fine. But when it comes to diving, that teeny display and small buttons is a real problem for a lot of folks; especially if you wear gloves. The only reason you should be wearing a dive computer as a wristwatch is if you're an extremely active diver, or you're just wanting to show off. Wearing it as a wristwatch will wear down the battery much faster, and open up a lot of opportunities for damaging the thing or getting it stolen.

I have the Vyper, of course. Good, solid computer. Pretty ergonomic. Big display. There's also a newer model called the Gekko, which is very similar to the Vyper. Unless you dive every other day in the tropics, and are "gentle" to your wrists, I wouldn't recommend a small wristwatch-sized dive computer. Opt for a bigger display and nice big buttons, whenever you can.

Both are basically the same computer. I have owned and used both. The Vyper has larger display and larger buttons, so if you have poor eyes or poor dexterity the Vyper will work better for you.

The true difference between the two is that the Mosquito can not be used in Gauge mode, which you will only care about if you might be headed toward multi-gas decompression diving.

The Mosquito is very comfortable, and you will not wear down the batteries by wearing it as a watch because the display is on whether or not you look at it.

Both are great instruments, so don't fret over your choice. Both also have good resale value, so you win even if you change your mind a year later.

theskull

I forgot to mention: You can also stick the Vyper in a console mounting. Many divers do this rather than wear the thing on the wrist.

I didn't know that the Mosquito's batteries were always on (thanks for the tip skull!), but the Vyper will turn itself off. I have yet to change the battery on mine, and it's five years old!

archman:
I forgot to mention: You can also stick the Vyper in a console mounting. Many divers do this rather than wear the thing on the wrist.

I didn't know that the Mosquito's batteries were always on (thanks for the tip skull!), but the Vyper will turn itself off. I have yet to change the battery on mine, and it's five years old!

...my first computer was an Aeris Atmos 1 (still have it and should sell it). My other computer is a VEO200 and is barely a year old, but is in a console. I was about to order the wrist boots for the compass and computer that are in the console when my friend told me he was going to give me the Vyper or Mosquito for my birthday. Oh well maybe I will sell it, buy a different compass and finally get that brass pressure gauge attached. I am leaning towards the Vyper, though my vision isn't that bad. I do wear contacts but only for a slight stigmatism. The glove thing is a definite consideration because I do dive dry most of the time.

Thanks to everyone for their replies....lot of good points made.

darylm74:
I am leaning towards the Vyper, though my vision isn't that bad. I do wear contacts but only for a slight stigmatism.
A big display isn't just for nearsighted people. It's advantageous for all. Better in crummy visibility, better for your buddy to read (if he needs to), the readings are less cluttered, etc... There's a nice cutesy "ascent graph" on the Vyper and Gekko that is a great reference when going up the anchor line; I love that thing.

A lot of drysuit divers replace the wrist strap with shock cord; more secure and easier to adjust over those bulky suits.

Well, since you already own a Veo 200... get the Mosquito.
I like watches to wear, so make it your backup and wear it at least between dives, so you will know the surface time.

I own a Vytec. Same size as a Vyper. Nice machines. I always wear a watch style computer as a backup.

Although I must agree with H20Bubbles that a Stinger is more lasting than a Mosquito. :D

Melle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom