Proper Removal of Suunto Vytec from Boot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiegoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I just recently bought a mount from DSS that I will be using to house my Vytec computer. I'm going with the bungie route due to the fact that the boot is rather annoying and the straps don't like to compensate for depth. Bought the mount for the SK7 compass as well.

Here's the thing. How the &%$ do I get the boot off of the vytec. In response to changing the battery, the manual states to...."remove the computer from the console or boot"....."Pull off the boot. Remove it first from the front end with the longer part of the strap." However, I don't want to replace the battery. Don't need to as of yet. I simply want to take the computer out of the boot. I tried pulling it out....Doesn't want to budge. I didn't want to start prying it out yet with any tools or excessive force. Does anyone have any suggestions or know the proper procedure in taking off the boot. Thanks.

Sorry... my second and third posts in that thread.

It is really simple to do. I just did this myself and got the elastometric wrist mount boot from DSS. Works great and much easier to deal with than the console. I even removed the spg from the casing.

Edited: Sorry...I misread your post. I thought you had the console setup for your computer. Disregard my post.

Oops. Hang on a minute... I just fished out my Vytec boot from the scuba closet and it looks much different than the Versa Pro boot. It looks like it should be much easier to remove. Give me a minute and I'll give it a go.

Stephen Ash:
Oops. Hang on a minute... I just fished out my Vytec boot from the scuba closet and it looks much different than the Versa Pro boot. It looks like it should be much easier to remove. Give me a minute and I'll give it a go.

Thanks a lot....looking forward to figuring out how to do it correctly without going postal on it.

I slipped it back in the boot and then removed the boot to get a feel for what you need to do. I peeled the boot off the computer with my thumb up near the top... up by the "C" in "Vytec". Here is a photo that shows the boot partially removed. Notice that I don't have the straps on... the pin is showing. I don't think that it would be any harder to do with the straps on. The pin that is peeking out is the pin for the long part of the strap. Once you get that far it basically falls off. Does that help?

If it looks like the straps are going to make it harder, just remove them. You can get hold of the pin edge with a small knife or thin srew driver and then pry it out of the pin holder.

Stephen Ash:
I slipped it back in the boot and then removed the boot to get a feel for what you need to do. I peeled the boot off the computer with my thumb up near the top... up by the "C" in "Vytec". Here is a photo that shows the boot partially removed. Notice that I don't have the straps on... the pin is showing. I don't think that it would be any harder to do with the straps on. The pin that is peeking out is the pin for the long part of the strap. Once you get that far it basically falls off. Does that help?

Thanks...Got it. I was just hoping that the pins were not involved. Once I figured out that they weren't, I just used a little extra force. Just popped out. Now...Just need to get the pins out and the straps off. Thanks again.

Sorry about the misdirection with the Versa Pro. It has been a long while since my Vytec was in a boot. I forgot thet the boots were different. The Versa is much harder to coax out of its boot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom