Which watch would you recommend for my needs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianV

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Mares M1 RGBM right now which I will likely be gifting to my g/f in the next 6 months.

Thus, I want a new watch, the requirements are:

- It be a watch
- AI
- Air and Nitrox
- Good Battery Life with User Replaceable Batteries

Things that I like/don't like:

- I don't like how hard the buttons are to press on the M1
- I worry that smaller buttons like on the Atom will be hard to press with gloves on
- I want as much info on one screen as possible (not needing to change between multiple screens to get important info.
* The info I want (in order of importance): Depth, NDL, Pressure, Dive Time, Air Time Left, Max Depth, Water Temp (If I could get all of that on one screen that's be the best, but otherwise I'd want most of them).
- I don't want a huge thing like the Uwatec.

I've been looking at the Atom and VT Pro from Oceanic because. I like the size of the Atom, but don't like the small buttons and the multiple pages of stuff to go through to get the info I want. Alternatively, the VT Pro has an easier button to press and has all of that info on two screens. I do like how the Atom looks and could be used as more of a real day-to-day sport/water watch.

What are some other ones I should consider. I don't want to spend more than $600 (for watch and trasmitter), which based on leisurepro and scubatoys, the atom and VT pro could be had for that.

Let's hear what you think...

I've found the VT Pro to be fairly easy to use. You may also want to consider the Aeris Atmos Elite. This is very similar to VT Pro. Looking at the specs on Aeris' site it looks as like you will have two different screens for all of the information you requested. I find the Aeris computers easier to read with the layout of the display.

If you need more information as to specs I've included the link to it on Oceanic's and Aeris' sites.

http://diveaeris.com/p_computers_elite.html
http://oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_vtpro.html

Sean Clarke
Divers Direct & World Watersports

You may consider a Mares Nemo or Suunto Stinger.

If you are looking for an AI dive computer that is truly "watch-size," you basically only have two choices: Oceanic Atom/Aeris Epic or Suunto D9... Both are expensive and have way more functions than a diver would ever need.

Suunto have launched the D6, a far more slim lined version of the D9, with all the functions of a D9...IMHO the D6 looks more like a watch than the D9, which tended to be a little on the bulky side.

D6 is not AI...

Any particular reason you need AI? Most experienced divers I know frown heavily on the function, for several reasons. Foremost - complication and possibility of failure. A computer with a transmitter is more likely to fail than an SPG. The transmitter can get broken by impact or just malfunction. Measuring SAC rate is not difficult and promotes proper planning. And it's money that can be better spent.

My 2 cents, worth the paper it's written on...

I will have the SPG for backup no matter what. The reason I want AI is because of the convenience of having all the info in one place (with spg as bcakup) and other features like airtime left, more detailed logging, etc.

IMO trying to get all needed info on a single watch sized screen is too much clutter. the info I want to see at first glance is "what is happening now" i.e. current depth, tank pressure, ndt remaining, air time remaining. the rest I consider secondary, max depth and water temp are items I should be able to remember,

Back
Top Bottom