nitrox capable, air now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, i'm in the market for a new computer and am new to diving. I'm probably not going to be diving with nitrox for a while but definitely is in the future. i just dont know when. Im gathering i should buy a computer that is capable of nitrox now even though im not diving on it. is that a good assumption to make?

You might ask yourself, Why do some people dive nitrox with their computer's in Air Mode?, before you make a decision.

From the PM:

Rick Inman:
ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
can you clarify on what you just posted. there is still alot i need to learn about this subject. thanks.
In some people's opinion (mine, for example) the best use of nitrox is not in increasing bottom time, but in decreasing nitrogen loading by increasing O2, and then diving it like it is regular 21% air. This decreases the chances of getting bent and lets you leave the water less N2 loaded, and (many say) feeling better.

You don't need a nitrox computer for that. In fact, it becomes a waste of money. Using nitrox and then using a nitrox computer to dive to your NDL limits is considered by some to be a poor way to dive (for safety reasons). But, lots of people do it, and the LDS will sell the nitrox class that way.

In your nitox class you'll get a table for tracking N2 loading, and then you just dive air tables or an air computer.

If you want to increase your bottom time, I would use the tables and dive the EAD (tables and formulas given in the class). In fact, if you start looking for a pattern in calculating EAD, you might discover that you don't need the nitrox tables/EAD tables at all.

My opinion is, I wouldn't waste a dime on a nitrox computer because it only encourages the diver to dive to nitrox NDL limits, which is not the best/safest use of EAN.

Other people's opinions very.

I will post this PM in your thread.

Rick

Rick Inman:
My opinion is, I wouldn't waste a dime on a nitrox computer because it only encourages the diver to dive to nitrox NDL limits, which is not the best/safest use of EAN.

Then it would also be a bad decision to buy an air computer to dive with air, since an air computer will also allow a diver to maximize their profile.

I don't see why it has to be all one or the other. You can get both more time and less N2 loading by walking a nice middle road.

harry:

RIck makes a good point, but i would get a Nitrox compatible computer simply
to give you the flexibility to dive Nitrox as Nitrox if you want to increase your
dive time at any given dive.

if you buy an air computer now (say $150) and later realize you really want to
dive longer Nitrox profiles, you'll have to pay about $300 to get a nitrox-compatible
computer. you would have spent $450

sell back the air computer for about $80, and you would have spent $370.

that's $70.00 that you could have spent on air fills.

Buy a Nitrox computer and set it to 21%. This is the same as air. When you want to use Nitrox you'll have the computer. Make sure the computer can be adjusted in 1% increments and has large enough numbers to be read easily. Also never dive without an SPG if you happen to get an air integrated computer.

rainman_02:
Then it would also be a bad decision to buy an air computer to dive with air...
Good point!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom