Scubapro Mk 17AF ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

will_tekkie

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys..in part due to the great feedback in this forum about this reg (specially from a SP expert like DA Aquamaster) i am thinking to buy one as a good replacement of my MK20s.... just to be sure ..i was reading its features at SP´s website and they say something about its 2 high flow ports. I just want to be sure that these ports do not include those nonsense 1/2" ports (as Apeks/Aqualung or poseidon used to manufacture) ..Are All LP ports standard ones?..i mean 3/8"...

Thank you...

Yes. I believe Apeks/Aqualung are the only ones that still uses 1/2". Still I wouldn't hesitate with the MK 17. As a USD fan that has a SEA Cousteau with a ATX 50 on the other end kicking some awesome butt during inhale, I actually admire the 17.

triton013:
Yes. I believe Apeks/Aqualung are the only ones that still uses 1/2". Still I wouldn't hesitate with the MK 17. As a USD fan that has a SEA Cousteau with a ATX 50 on the other end kicking some awesome butt during inhale, I actually admire the 17.

Yes..i also have a SEA Cousteau first stage..quite nice stage even considering is a oldie one....i think have a better design (HP seal included) than apeks ds4 or atx100 firsts and equivalent to a ATX200. I just hate the silly 1/2" main port.

Non of the ports on a mk17/16 ARE "HIGH FLOW" this 1st stage does not have any venturi assisted ports. What they mean is that the indicated potrts on the 1st stage are closer to the main valve and, do not have to travel down a bypass within the body to reach the port's. This is not a high performance 1st stage despite what you may have read, configure it any way you want, at 100ft you wouldnt know any differance!

Scuba Tech:
This is not a high performance 1st stage despite what you may have read, configure it any way you want, at 100ft you wouldnt know any differance!

Just out of curiosity, if then, from what depth you can notice the difference?

Scuba Tech:
Non of the ports on a mk17/16 ARE "HIGH FLOW" this 1st stage does not have any venturi assisted ports. What they mean is that the indicated potrts on the 1st stage are closer to the main valve and, do not have to travel down a bypass within the body to reach the port's. This is not a high performance 1st stage despite what you may have read, configure it any way you want, at 100ft you wouldnt know any differance!

Interesting comments...on your point of view..is this stage (mk17) better, worst or just good enough than mk20/25????...i have not used it yet so i do not have a first hand opinion regarding this gear...

DA Aquamaster a good expert here has a outstanding opinion about this reg.....i would like to know other feedback from users...

Thank you....

Scuba Tech:
Hmmm. My Mk 17's are currently on the boat but I thought there was one port per side that was a high flow port.

But I agree the difference if any is minimal as all of the ports are in the main internal chamber with good flow.

As for not being high performance, that's a relative statement. The Mk 10 was considered to be "high performance" and with the old flat seat it had a flow rate around 120 SCFM. Now they probably have around 140-150 SCFM with the newer concave seats. Which as it turns out is more than adequate for any rec or tech purpose. Back in the day, I never ran short of gas on a Mk 10 during deep air dives to around 150 ft.

It makes sense when you consider that you can't get a second stage that flows more than about 65-70 SCFM anyway. So once your first stage can support two full blown freeflowing high performance second stages and have some left over for dry suit infaltors, etc. there really is nothing left in terms of "need" for more flow rate.

The Mk 25 in contrast has a flow rate of 300 SCFM out the end port and about 240 SCFM out the side ports. So I suppose it is superior in that you could have four freeflowing high performance second stages attached to it if you prefer - but I don't see any reason or it.

In comparision to that, the Mk 17's flow rate of 177 SCFM is arguably less, but it is still well over the 150 SCFM mark where anything extra is just gravy. And by any standard other than the Mk 25's excessive 300 SCFM flow rate, the MK 17 is definitely a high performance regulator.

I have taken my Mk 17's to 150 feet on air with no issues at all, I have used them on very hard working commercial dives with no shortage of gas and if you go deeper, helium mixes flow through them even easier and more than compensated for the increased depth. So all in all the Mk 17 offers more than enough performance for what ever a diver might do with it.

In terms of subjective breathing performance, I use D400 second stages adjusted to inhalation efforts of about .6 to .8 of water. These are arguably the best breathing second stages ever produced and I can tell absolutley no difference in breathing quality between the Mk 25 and Mk 17 on the surface or at depth, so obviously the MK 17 is not experiencing any lag or IP drop issues even at depth.

Personally, I feel the flow rate on the Mk 25 is excessive and I'd gladly trade trade some of that excess flow rate for cold water reliability - which is basically what I did when I retired my Mk 20's and Mk 25's for Mk 17's.

That is again great write up from DA AquaMaster, as always.

Scuba Tech:
Non of the ports on a mk17/16 ARE "HIGH FLOW" this 1st stage does not have any venturi assisted ports.

I am not sure of what you mean by “this 1st stage does not have any venturi assisted port”.

A venturi is a dynamic flow contraction and expansion. The flow contraction creates a pressure drop. If properly design into the second stage of a regulator the pressure drop of a venturi can assist in “sucking” the diaphragm and therefore, the suction the diver has to generate is reduced after the initial “cracking suction”.

A first stage doesn’t require any venturi assistance to maintain a fairly constant IP (above ambient). There is enough pressure differential from the IP to ambient that it doesn’t require any aerodynamic flow assistance. The only thing a first stage needs to do is provide a fairly constant IP, independent of flow rate or tank pressure (if it is balanced).

PS: An excellent venturi design was also part of the original Mistral double hose regulator. That is a single stage regulator that performs extremely well. No intermediate pressure (it drops the tank pressure to ambient in one step), just three moving parts, and it is amassing how well it performs.
Cousteau regularly used the Spirotechnique Mistral due to its reliability. It was the regulator he used to dive the Britannic (using heliox).
I just recently purchased a vintage USD Mistral. I can’t wait to use it. Again no IP… also means no dry suit inflator… etc.

Back
Top Bottom