Best reg for under $300?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw you also posted a thread asking for "best BC to buy under $375." It might be better to talk about your whole budget on one thread. Best whatever at some arbitrary price might not be the right way for you to think about this. You may get suggestions to spend more on a reg, and look for a used BC, or whatever (just an example.)

Also, I notice you're not certified yet. It's great to start researching gear, but it's usually not a good idea to start buying major gear before, if that's what you're considering. It's hard to know what you will want when you haevn't dove yet, and there's always some chance you won't like it or something. (Resulting in more used scuba gear on ebay.)

simplyscuba.com apeks ds4/tx40. This reg will work great for everything you'll ever do with it in almost any temperature. Cave diving, ice diving, deep technical diving, whatever you'll be set.

CDX5 Zetas can be had for under $250 now. Great reg!

Damselfish:
It's great to start researching gear, but it's usually not a good idea to start buying major gear before, if that's what you're considering. It's hard to know what you will want when you haevn't dove yet, and there's always some chance you won't like it or something. (Resulting in more used scuba gear on ebay.)

Of course every scuba shop on earth would disagree with you. They will say things like "Buy it _now_ so you can take the class in your own gear that you will be using after the class" Self serving advice if ever there was any.

For example how would you know if you wanted a back inflate or a jacket style BC without ever having used either of them. Thre is also the argument that gear costs the same if you buy now or buy later so you may as well avoid the rental costs and buy now. The counter argument is that you can concider the cost of rentals "education" and buying something only to replace it is expensive.

Now back to gear. Quite frankly for any given price point regulators all work pretty much alke. There is not so much difference between them. But on the other hand there are huge differences between BCs there is much vriation in design and unlike a reg a BC has to fit you.

You might want to spend a little less on that BC and a bit more on the reg. By the time you add an SPG and an octo to the set $350 is not much of a budget but I've bought a good weight integrated mares BC for $200 for my son last year (just wait for the sales)

So I agree. Give us your total budget. What's funny is that you can buy gear at any price point you want and do just as well. I see divers all the time in brand new high end rigs and others in stuff from the 980's and they dive in the same ocean and see the same stuff and are just as safe.

Well true I am not certified as of yet but I did dive once in Cozumel. It was considered the first of four certification dives. We did it on a cruise ship and I was hooked. I know I am going to enjoy diving...no doubt in my mind. (Only problem thus far is finding a girl who will do it as well ;-) My total budget is about $700. I figured I can just buy a reg and bc and rent gauges and an octo. Bad plan? Any more advice? Thanks for the help.

Typically reg rental includes octo and guages, probably have a hard time convincing them to break down their rental gear so you can use your own primary and they'll probably charge you the same anyway.

Check out eBay, scuba gear has very low resale value [IMHO]. If you go that route make sure to have it checked thoroughly by your LDS prior to any use.

As someone who purchased all his gear either during or right after OW, I say wait a little while, not to see if you like scuba or not, just to let info soak in and you can make a more informed decision [and maybe have a little more money], I would have done some things differently had I waited even a month but two would have been better.

Good luck...

scubafire:
Well true I am not certified as of yet but I did dive once in Cozumel. It was considered the first of four certification dives. We did it on a cruise ship and I was hooked. I know I am going to enjoy diving...no doubt in my mind. (Only problem thus far is finding a girl who will do it as well ;-) My total budget is about $700. I figured I can just buy a reg and bc and rent gauges and an octo. Bad plan? Any more advice? Thanks for the help.

You don't want to rent an octo and guage...you'll have to attach them to your first stage every time. Generally octo and guages are considered part of buying regs. It's a package thing.

What you want to do is call scubatoys and ask for Larry. Tell Larry your budget and what you are interested in and he'll get you into the best setup you can get for the money. You'll get a lot more for your buck than at your LDS I imagine, and you can't get better advice or customer service than from Larry. Even if you aren't ready to buy now, give him a call and see what sort of ideas he has. He's always willing to talk gear options. Mention you're from scubaboard and you get a discount.

I'm not affiliated...just a very happy customer. I got my wife's gear from them and my folks got all their gear there too. Great prices and great advice.

Cheers :D

Back
Top Bottom