Mares Abyss question(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishoutawater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been searching and searching on what new reg I should get. At first I was looking for one with a flow adjustment knob, but then I figured, I've never needed one before. Just seems like more moving parts to wear out or break.
More importantly however, I want a reg that's built like an M1 Abrahms tank, yet functions like a Swiss watch.
I also happen to have an old Dacor which qualifies for the trade in deal on the Abyss. And I've been reading a lot of good stuff about it.
So my questions: Does the thing freeflow at the surface?

Can I run it with my Sherwood octo? It's barely a year old.

And, what is that little chrome tube on the side of it for?

One more thing. The pictures of the Abyss's I see on the web show a few different versions of the diaphram cover. Will they interchange? I'm not real fond of the steel mesh cover with the little hood scoop looking thingy on it. I'd prefer the all black cover.

The Abyss doesn't freeflow on the surface if it has been tuned proprely. Your Sherwood Octo will work with it, I've dived with an abyss/sherwood octo configuration before and haven't had any problems. The IP on both Sherwood and Mares first stage is in the same range. The chrome tube on the side is the VAD system, you can read about it here. Finally, the steel mesh cover Abyss is the current version, the previous one had circular vents on the cover.

^
What Falco said. Excellent solid choice.
You can use the Abyss as a hammer to put nails in the wall and later go diving with it-Not that I'd recommend doing it. :wink:

A truly fine regulator (and I think you can still get ruby seats for the first stage).

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm sold on it.
And I can get used to the mesh front. I'll call it a mark of distinction, like wearin' a Rolex.
I'll respond more fully tomorrow (on my home pc, the sun just came back out, and the Mississippi beckons).

It's a great breathing reg, however a tad on the heavy side. Maybe look into the Mares Proton series regs? They are lighter and still as tough. That was my route.

We've had our Abyss regs for about 5 years now. Yes, the 2nd stage CAN feel a bit heavy, but they are great breathing in any conditions & any orientation. :thumb:

My 2 cents.

1.-Excellent regularator..breaths easy at all depths.
2.-Yes my did/does free flow randomly. I just have to tap it a few times and it will stop. I think is the membrane. Purchased mine from scubatoys so at the next service I will make sure to tell them that.
3.-This happened one time and it also stopped. There was water while breathing. I mean a lot of water. 50% water 50% air. Weird. after 1 minute and it stopped.
4.-Yes it's heavy. The only negative on my part.

I tossed the idea of the Abyss and the Proton Ice back and forth for awhile and decided on the Ice. Both are great regulators and breath the same to me.

The Ice breathes like a dream as does the Abyss so you really can't go wrong.
One deciding factor was the Ice had a cool blue look and it drives people crazy if they are into all black :wink:

The Abyss is a heavier and as suggested, you will probably want to change out the mouth piece.

As far as freeflow, only a few times. In a head down possition it can almost go into a possitive pressure mode. Its very sensitive but not to the point of being a problem by any means.

Back
Top Bottom