Getting smoke smell out of wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knife

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought my first wetsuit 2nd hand off ebay. Suit is in perfect condition, but it appears the previous owned is a quite heavy smoker..... you could smell the smoke outside the box it came in :eek:

I've searched this board for ways to get smoke smell out but only seen 1 method, using distilled malt vinegar with suit shampoo, but it gave no guidelines for how much vinegar to use with how much shampoo.

Can anyone help me with that? or with an alternate method?

Thanks

Knife:
Hi,

I recently bought my first wetsuit 2nd hand off ebay. Suit is in perfect condition, but it appears the previous owned is a quite heavy smoker..... you could smell the smoke outside the box it came in :eek:

I've searched this board for ways to get smoke smell out but only seen 1 method, using distilled malt vinegar with suit shampoo, but it gave no guidelines for how much vinegar to use with how much shampoo.

Can anyone help me with that? or with an alternate method?

Thanks

Try washing and then soaking in Downy Fabric Softener

dkktsunami:
Try washing and then soaking in Downy Fabric Softener

My only problem with that is that I'm from England and we can't get that particular fabric softener over here.... but you're saying that just washing in any sort of fabric softener should work?

Also, how much should I use or does it not really matter?

PfcAJ:
id start with a small amount and work up if the smell is still there. Handwash, too.

I washed it twice with soda crystals to get out any stains. First time it turned the water a kind of murky brown/yellow colour (The same used to happen when i washed apholstery in cars owned by smokers when I worked at a garage)

The second time round the water stayed white (from the soda)

Then I washed it again using some fabric softener, and left it in that water for about 2hours. Now its hung up in my garden drying.

Hoping that's sorted it :)

i say dip the wetsuit in a bathtub full of anchovies for a week

i am pretty sure this will get rid of the smoke smell

:54:

You could use Vodka,.. I know, sounds strange, but they did an episode of mythbusters on it a while ago and it worked out well. Of course I don't know if the neopreme will react with it, but you could test it first.

Just an idea...

eclipse785:
You could use Vodka,.. I know, sounds strange, but they did an episode of mythbusters on it a while ago and it worked out well. Of course I don't know if the neopreme will react with it, but you could test it first.

Just an idea...

Well, I did just recently stop drinking that stuff.... and have a 1L bottle of it spare.....

If the thing I just tried doesnt work I'll give it a shot (testing it on the hood first I think)

H2Andy:
i say dip the wetsuit in a bathtub full of anchovies for a week

i am pretty sure this will get rid of the smoke smell

:54:

Lol, I think that'll be the last thing I try :wink: still smells better than smoke :p

Cheers for the help guys

My wetsuit often will stink from hunting. I use a mild shampoo to get rid of the odor. My suggestion would be start simple... then move to the more complex. Maybe a dry cleaner can help???

To find the bright side.. you wont be able to smell it under water!

Have you tried "Sink the Stink". I bought a suit from a shop were the guys obviously hung around smoking the back room or around the door/stock room because when I got home I noticed the brand new suit smelled of smoke. I'd did not notice the smell in shop because I tried it on on the back where it smelled of smoke, period!

I do not know if my problem was as serious (long-term exposure) as yours but I sank the suit into a tub with Sink the Stink juice, kept it there overnight, and after it dried all the smell was gone :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom