Glasses in B.C. pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FurtekJR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This might seem like a bizzare question, but here goes. I am doing my open water check out dives next week in a local quarry. I wear glasses and have corrective lenses in my mask, which work incredibly well under water and decently well out of water.

During the pool portion of my OW, I kept my mask on most of the time, even on the surface / out of the water. Although the mask works out of the water, it is not an ideal soulution. I have a fairly cheap pair of backup glasses and have been toying with the idea of jury rigging some sort of waterproof case to keep in my B.C. pocket while I am under. The best idea I have come up with so far is ripping the fabric liner out of a a hard plastic glasses case and placing it in a ziplock freezer bag (or two) with rubber bands wrapped lengthwise and widthwise around the case and a few ounces of fishing sinkers.

Before I put my plan into action, I would like some advice. Has anyone tried anything like this before? Am I doomed to failure? Any other ideas? Is there a commercial product that does the same thing?

Thanks in advance.

You will need a very rigid case for it to not implode and crush your glasses. A cylindrical container would be your best bet.

You should have your mask in place when you step in the water and it should remain in place until you are back on dry land. Packing and unpacking glasses in gear while at the waters edge would seem to be a PITA. I have buddies that don masks at the vehicle and they stay put until they return. If your correction needs to be in place then I'd let the mask do it's job.

Another alternative is a good freshwater soaking to save the hinges and such. In that case vent the case so it equalizes.

Pete

We near-sighted folk have a rough time, sometimes...

Just deal with it. Definitely not ideal, but if you want ideal, get Lasik. I wear my mask while floating at the surface, which is mostly fine, and as soon as I get back to shore or the boat I'm reaching for my glasses. Dragging a pair of glass down is just asking for trouble... it's one more thing to manage, it's costly if it gets lost, and it makes you more likely to lose one or the other (mask or glasses). Save yourself the hassle and just keep the mask on, or go without and realize you're moderately blind, until you can get back to the rest of your gear. I usually keep my glasses in the tupperware tub my mask came in, which keeps them safe on the boat (even small rowboats in remote locations), and swap when I'm out.

If you decide you must take the glasses down with you, your best bet is actually to find a cheap, old diving flashlight on eBay or Craigslist (like a UK SL4, a common old workhorse that sells for cheap), take out the batteries, and use it as a glasses case. They're designed to handle the pressure, unlike most other things. Pelican boxes can also work, but they have an unacceptably high failure rate... although that may not matter. Who cares if a cheap pair of backup glasses get a little wet? (Especially diving fresh water quarries where rust is less of an issue)

I keep my glasses in a Pelican case at the surface when diving. It's kept the glasses safe from damage on boats, and in the back of the truck. I even use it when we are in the pool - the case just stays out of the way on the pool deck. It does mean that I have to have my mask on quite early if I'm not going to have quick access to the case. There is one local dive spot where I just wedge the case into the rocks at the shore while I'm in the water - saves me from climbing down and down the rocks with my mask on. In that case I am relying on the honesty of my fellow divers - never given it a second thought.

In Bonaire, I take my glasses/sunglasses with me on the dives to prevent theft while shore diving. Just drop them into your wetsuit through the neck hole, they'll stay in place on your upper chest for easy removal and donning when the dive is over. Be sure to rinse with fresh water afterward to prevent corrosion. YMMV in a heavy wetsuit.

I bought a nifty 'waterproof' glasses case a few years ago, but realized I didn't need it. Like someone (CompuDude?) said, when you get the mask out of it's case, put it on your face and the glasses in the mask case.

Unless disposable contacts are a possibility? I really like mine, and haven't dove with my prescription mask in years.

Just don't wear them on your forehead, no telling what that might indicate to some DM or instructor.

I just put my daily-wear glasses in my drysuit thigh pocket.

hubby has about 3 pairs of prescription sunglasses in cheap $30 frames

he wears them right into the water, slips them into his wetsuit pocket on his thigh and goes diving

in about 10 years hes broken 1 pair and lost 2... but then did a search/recovery class with students and located one of them.

talk to your eye guy... get the cheapest frames you can... the sunnies/sports ones are good because they have a bit of bend in the frames

cheers

Back
Top Bottom