Dryglove systems: Viking Bayonet vs. Diving Concepts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm evaluating gryglove systems, and I've narrowed it down the two systems I see the most frequent praise (and the least frequent complaints) for: the Viking bayonet ring setup vs. the Diving Concepts rings. I feel like I've just read too many complaints about issues with the SiTech systems for them to be in the serious running. Unless I am mistaken, it looks like the price between the two systems is fairly similar.

So far I know this: Cons: The DC rings can sometimes be finicky and leak if you don't treat them well and seal them just right. Viking rings are large and stretch the suit seals, and can be a PITA to get through your bp/w harness. (Do either maintain the seals at all, if you want to switch back and forth?)

Pros: Mo2vation LOVES his DC rings, and swears it's fairly simple to get a good routine for good seals everytime. However, several PNW divers whose experience I also respect (such as TSandM) swear by the Vikings, which apparently are the easiest to seal with near 100% sureness that you've done it right everytime.

Has anyone used both? Pros/Cons to each?

Note that I have regular latex seals in my DUI DS right now, but will probably be going to Zip Seals in the next year or two (probably depending on how soon my seals need replacing), so this is going to be a temporary setup, unless I decide I love it so much I don't want to go with Zip Seals for some reason. (Which may be the case, esp. in light of DUI's absurd price for zip gloves.)

I would always want my drygloves easily self donning and doffing. It is nice to be able to leave the drysuit on, yet remove the gloves and hang out. To me it also makes sense to keep the latex seal intact incase of a glove puncture or other flooding issue. I have the COCVI gloves, which work pretty well, but the Viking bayonet system is the way I would go, if I got to do it over again. Also removable liners are a must.

I had a Viking dry suit with cuff rings for dry gloves. It is the actual attached system used by serious and commercial divers to get a positive seal every time. The down side is they only come on Viking suits and they are a pain to thread through your BC straps. Of course the darned dump valve always hangs up on the straps as well.

I was one of those SiTech naysayers. Couldn't keep em dry. Then I found a bunch of tips (here and elsewhere). Now the things don't flood at all (30 dives straight in the last month and a half). We'll see how they continue to perform. I have my seals in place. Rings don't seem to have caused any problems in the 9 months I've had them on. Pretty easy to put on myself and take off (again, now that I know what I'm doing). Replacement gloves are just a few bucks. I tried Zip Gloves at the local DUI dog days. While they are fast and easy to install (they had me do it myself to check), I can't believe the price! Also did NOT like gearing up with the gloves attached.

Very interested to hear what others think of the DC and Viking systems, as my gf will likely be buying dry gloves within the next few months.

Rainer:
I was one of those SiTech naysayers. Couldn't keep em dry. Then I found a bunch of tips (here and elsewhere). Now the things don't flood at all (30 dives straight in the last month and a half).

You wouldn't mind sharing a few of those tips would you Rainer?

I havn't used my sitecs all that much, and have found them to be a bit hit and miss in the few dives i have used them on. Still - I will be pulling them out again soon and wouldn't mind a few tips.

Cheers,
Rohan

Tassie_Rohan:
You wouldn't mind sharing a few of those tips would you Rainer?

I havn't used my sitecs all that much, and have found them to be a bit hit and miss in the few dives i have used them on. Still - I will be pulling them out again soon and wouldn't mind a few tips.

Cheers,
Rohan

No problem!

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2854420&postcount=8

Based on JeffG's suggestion, I'm now just using spit (not lube) on the o-rings. Works great. Biggest issue was simply going slow and pushing the rings on evenly. Order matters:

(1) Put on liners (either the yellow ones or whatever you want).
(2) THEN put on your dry suit (assuming you have latex seals). This will keep the liners from bunching, and negates the need for straws/hoses for equalization.
(3) Spin rings on dry gloves fully open.
(4) Lube o-rings (w/ spit)
(5) Place BOTH gloves on, but don't yet push them on.
(6) Now work on one glove at a time. Slowly push the glove into the ring. Work opposite sides, applying just enough pressure to creep the gloves on. Work around the glove until it's all the way on. If it ever slips by more than a 1/4", start again. If any doubt, start again. Repeat with the other glove.

Doing this, I haven't had any leaks.

Good luck.

Rainer:

He..he.. I'll have to try those. Of course my gloves have been dry for a while too...sitting in the bottom of my gear bin :D

Thought of you, John when I finally got mine to work. Should have written you. Give em another shot. For the first 10 dives, I was still wearing my wet gloves underneath!

Rainer:
No problem!

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2854420&postcount=8

Based on JeffG's suggestion, I'm now just using spit (not lube) on the o-rings. Works great. Biggest issue was simply going slow and pushing the rings on evenly. Order matters:

(1) Put on liners (either the yellow ones or whatever you want).
(2) THEN put on your dry suit (assuming you have latex seals). This will keep the liners from bunching, and negates the need for straws/hoses for equalization.
(3) Spin rings on dry gloves fully open.
(4) Lube o-rings (w/ spit)
(5) Place BOTH gloves on, but don't yet push them on.
(6) Now work on one glove at a time. Slowly push the glove into the ring. Work opposite sides, applying just enough pressure to creep the gloves on. Work around the glove until it's all the way on. If it ever slips by more than a 1/4", start again. If any doubt, start again. Repeat with the other glove.

Good luck.

I've been using these tips, or ones like them and have not had a leak with my SI Techs yet. I'm happy with mine.

i am usung the viking bayonet glove system. it is easy to use and you can look at the seals and tell if they are on right or not at a glance. also since they are a positive lock they cant pop off while diving. the rings are a little bigger than th si tech rings. but if you have larger hands this is a plus. i paid $85 for the ring system without gloves. then i bought seperate gloves from a marine store with liners for $14 a pair. so i have $100 in the set up. i would buy the viking set up again.

Russ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom