Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom2004

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im taking my certification test in a few weeks, and i dont really want to use the suits they give you. I do have a wetsuit I use to surf with. Its a 3mm full body suit. Will that work?

Why not? You may be less active, and deeper, and may get a little chilly, but I'll bet it'll be good enough to get through the certification dives. You'll know soon enough if it isn't warm enough.

You should probably go into the dive store and check out what wetsuit they offer.

Check to see where the checkout dives will be. . . The ocean near you should be warm enough, if you're going to some of the springs in that area they may be much colder. Ask your instructor what thickness they wear. If your wetsuit fits you "snugly" it may be as good as any brand. Often we don't have the measurments the manufacturers use. . . too loose and you will pump cold water in and out, too tight and it will restrict you movement, may cause cramps.

When buying a "factory" fit suit, there will be big differences between brands for a "large"or "medium" size. If you are not an average fit. . .real tall, short, skinny or fat. . . Custom made suits will give you a great fit for only a little more money.

Three mil suits are a good summer suit for many areas of diving. When the water gets cooler, you can generally get a couple more weeks of diving by adding a 3-mil vest under the suit. Or you can add a 5-mil jacket over the top of the suit. If you are diving the springs with cold water, ask the locals, but you may want a thicker suit or even a dry suit if it is really cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom