need info on IST Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarthWader

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I hope I'm posting in the right place, but I'm looking for info/opinions on IST gear. it's about all my local dive shop carries for mask/fin/snorkel choices. I've never heard of the company so have no idea about quality and value. any opinions would be appreciated.

It's a company based in Taiwan, website at

http://www.istsports.com/

As a traditionalist, I like the breadth of their range; they still make two kinds of rubber fins and three kinds of rubber-skirted masks as well as the ubiquitous plastic and silicone gear. I own a pair of their "Sea Diver" fins which I use for snorkelling in the North Sea.

The are the "generic" brand if you would of the same masks, fins, snorkels and gear that other companies sell albeit with a different logo and some minor variations. In some cases these variations are more significant and add safety or functionality (eg. the named brand company does more testing and inspection, rejecting more units perhaps than IST).

That said one of the other frustrating things about IST is how quickly their catalog or inventory changes... don't expect the same mask, fin, snorkel, etc. to be around a year from now for parts or to get a 2nd one of the same model. They turn over inventory and models really quickly. Sometimes it's 6 mos.

For the prices though they are hard to beat. I figured even if the IST wetsuit, fins, masks, etc. last only 1/2 as long I will get my monies worth. So far my 5mm wetsuit is holding up pretty darn good -- has about 100 dives in 3 years and while there's some minor wear and some places have come unglued, it's mainly cosmetic or easily fixed with some aquaseal.

That said do I buy all IST stuff... nope, don't like their lights and accessories that much -- I really think they are cheap and plastic-y. Had one of their early BC which I loved for it's simplicity and low cost. They have newer and fancier ones now with weight integration, quackers, etc. -- too much fluff and not great fit / finish. So no more IST BCs for me.

Masks, fins, snorkels, bags... yep you betcha. :D

I guess I'm a bit more at ease with the quality, but Now I need to check on the value aspect to see if I'm getting overcharged for this stuff.
Thanks for the input guys.

I tried two sets of IST. The IST R-10 reg breathed wet, the Saturn BC was OK but missing some of the back padding you'd see on other name brands and the low pressure BC inflation hose had a constant leak. On day one the IST logo fell off the reg.

Everything was missing instructions and getting service is a concern.

That's where I got it. I like Costo's return policy and usually the buyers pick top quality items......

I'm going to save up and get a name brand.

Back
Top Bottom