Trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog

Reaction score
Ill get straight to the point here. Is there any evidence whatsoever that breathing Trimix or other simerlar novel gases is bad for you?

considering that we are designed to breathe "air" (n2, o2
and some trace gases) then anything other than that could
be considered "bad" for you.

heck, too much O2 for too long is very bad for you.

Erm you really need me to expand the question? Too much of anything is often bad for you. Becuase something is novel certainly doesnt mean that it will be bad for you. Why would inert/noble gases be poisenous to us. Using logic, by definition such gases are metabolically inactive. However, this is sometimes just not the case. I wont elaborate any more GM im sure you get the picture. Bad i.e. any ill effects.

There is very little research done on the longterm effects of mixed gas diving.Most short term studies suggest no trend in permanant damage.Give Dr Deco an e-mail or list the question to him.It is easier to get bent by He.as it is taken up and offgassed much faster.

Back in the 60's Scott Carpenter and others spent up to 60 days breathing other than air (heliox, I believe) in the Sealab project. Aside from the psychological effects of isolation and talking funny for an extended period, I don't recall any ill effects being noted.
Rick

What are the requirements for getting certified for trimix.. How do you go about doing it..

tgreaves,the perequisites vary from agency to agency,but here is the path I took OW-Nitrox-Adv Nitrox-Deep air(a long time ago,I knew better)-Technical Nitrox-Trimix.And ther are degrees of trimix diving too.Usually a set amount of dives between certs and must be some deep experience.Costs of classes can reach $5000 + gear.Takes up to 2 weeks for all the classes.Research your instructor no matter what agency you use.My instructor met My standards before we talked about training.

Dear Frog...

As someone who has spent several thousand hours in saturation breathing varying percentages of heliox & has gone through countless gas switches in the water I can tell you that personally, I feel just fine.

Talk to people who know me & you may get another opinion!

What concerns me more are the chronic physiological effects of pressure on the bones & the bodys various systems ( pulmonary, cardiovascular, c.n.s. etc., etc.). Year after year I await new developments from the hyperbaric medicine field that may provide further insight into the chronic effects of pressure; unfortuneately, this field of endeavour is chronically underfunded thus answers will probably be a long time coming. So I live & wait & hope that my body doesn't crap out before my alloted four score & seven is up.

Still I go under the water, theres just no way I could stop. But I stay pretty shallow now, my "technical" days are past. Besides, shallow is clear, warm & allows me stay long & visit. Just the ticket.

Live long & prosper, young Froggie.

Regards,
D.S.D.

Originally posted by 100days-a-year
tgreaves,the perequisites vary from agency to agency,but here is the path I took OW-Nitrox-Adv Nitrox-Deep air(a long time ago,I knew better)-Technical Nitrox-Trimix.And ther are degrees of trimix diving too.Usually a set amount of dives between certs and must be some deep experience.Costs of classes can reach $5000 + gear.Takes up to 2 weeks for all the classes.Research your instructor no matter what agency you use.My instructor met My standards before we talked about training.

Do you know if SSI offers the classes.. Or do I have to go to TDI..

Back
Top Bottom