Off the rack wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant

New
Reaction score
I'm new to all this and wanted to know any considerations I should have getting my first wetsuit. I'll need to get an off the rack one to fit me.

I noticed in another post somebody talking about liquidfit, and noticed they took a good amount of sizing measurments. Is this fine, or am I better getting measured by the people making the wetsuit?

Any other pointers welcome.

It'll be for casual scuba diving and windsurfing.

Edit - I'm an idiot and phrased this wrong. I don't want off the rack as they don't fit me.

If you are an off the rack person, and most are the eye of a good sales person is all you need. The proof will be when you try it on. If you cannot be fit off the rank and need to go custom then it's always best to be measured by a pro who understands how the maker will utilize the measurements.

How should it fit? Well it should fit like a second skin with a hint of compression especially on the legs and arms. If you had the suit on for a dive you should expect to see the stitching imprinted in your skin when you peel it off.
It should not inhibit you when you inhale and it must not help you exhale. The chest should be be a barely snug fit. When the zipper is closed you don't want it to be stretching the neoprene much more than 1 inch. Don't confuse this with pulling the suit into place. After you have had it on for a bit and have moved around have a friend unzip the suit and see how much it gets pulled in while zipping. You want some stretch as mentioned.

You should have full range of motion. place your hands across your chest onto opposite shoulders. Hands over your head, touch your toes. Your arms should hang freely at your side. There should be little or no impairment compared to your normal range. The armpits should fit up into your armpits nicely.

There should be few if any wrinkles and nothing that you would consider baggy.

What thickness and style of suit are you considering? Where are you going to play and into what temperatures?

If you are not accustomed to using a wetsuit be sure to have the salesperson explain how to get it on. You want to roll it down and get your feet in then roll it up onto you like pantyhose. You do not want to step into the whole leg like trousers and get yourself in a huff tugging it up. It should not be an ordeal with the right fit and good technique, even 7mm.

When you have a moment beef up your profile, it will improve responses to your questions.

Pete

Buoyant:
I'm new to all this and wanted to know any considerations I should have getting my first wetsuit. I'll need to get an off the rack one to fit me.

I noticed in another post somebody talking about liquidfit, and noticed they took a good amount of sizing measurments. Is this fine, or am I better getting measured by the people making the wetsuit?

Any other pointers welcome.

It'll be for casual scuba diving and windsurfing.

I just bought an off the rack, hell off the internet, 3/2 from MMdiver in the hot deals section & it fit perfect....I've found most suits run a little small so I order one size larger if I'm in the 'grey area' than their sizing chart........(also gives a fella a little 'growing room' as the man would say)........Go for it, they are returnable, what do you have to lose............GEAUX TIGERS...........

Oh boy, I've managed to write this completely the wrong way!
I got the off the rack phrase mixed up in my mind!

What I meant to say was I can't use off the rack and need a custom fit - so is internet fine if they take lots of measurements or would you always recommend a proper fitting.

It'll be for use main in Florida for skuba diving and wind surfing.

What is the nature of your fit that makes you think you need a custom fit?
For example, I weight 250lbs but my waist is 36" and I'm 6'5" I was still able to get an off the rack wetsuit. I just had to search a lot for the right fit.

Are you really tall, really short, really wide? If you provide more info with your question you may get more help.

Wys.

If you are needing a custom suit and are going to be in Florida, you should check with the owner of Liquid Fit, she lives in central Florida. I'm sure that she would be willing to do the measuring for you. Give her a call @ 800-785-8362.
Good luck in your search.
SWT

wysmar:
What is the nature of your fit that makes you think you need a custom fit?
For example, I weight 250lbs but my waist is 36" and I'm 6'5" I was still able to get an off the rack wetsuit. I just had to search a lot for the right fit.

Are you really tall, really short, really wide? If you provide more info with your question you may get more help.

Wys.

I'm average height and pretty slim but I've a large chest (I'd like to say natural but they're bought!). Anyway I've tried on quite a few, but haven't found one that fits yet.

saltwater taffy:
If you are needing a custom suit and are going to be in Florida, you should check with the owner of Liquid Fit, she lives in central Florida. I'm sure that she would be willing to do the measuring for you. Give her a call @ 800-785-8362.
Good luck in your search.
SWT

That could work. I could take a weekend trip down there for a short break and go see her.

Thanks

She has moved from the Keys. She lives in one of the communities around Orlando.
SWT

Buoyant,

Before you order and buy a custom made suit, you really should give one of the stretchy neoprene materials a shot. Custom suits are notorious for not fitting quite "custom" and they frequently have to be sent back to the factory for adjustments. This just makes the process a nightmare for you as a customer.

Henderson Aquatics makes suits out of two stretchy materials, Hyperstretch and Thermoprene. Hyperstretch has the most stretch(250%) and is certainly the most "fit forgiving." The Thermoprene on the other hand doesn't stretch quite as much, but still will fit the majority of divers pretty well. Basically, you'll want to buy the size that would fit the smallest part of you, and then the suit will stretch to fit the parts that are a little larger. Send me your measurements, and I'll take a look at the size chart and make a recommendation. We sell lots of these suits both over the internet and in our walk in store, so I have lots of experience with sizing.

If you prefer, you are welcome to give me a call and we can talk about sizing over the phone. No obligation to buy, I just want to make sure you get the right size and dont get into one of those "custom" suit nightmares.

Brad Ellis
800-601-3483

Buoyant:
I'm average height and pretty slim but I've a large chest (I'd like to say natural but they're bought!). Anyway I've tried on quite a few, but haven't found one that fits yet.

I ended up finding a wetsuit from Bare that fits me just right. They use "stretchy materials" like henderson does but are a little more economical.

You should give BradEllis a call and follow his advice. A lot of people with "odd" sizes find Henderson suits to fit them, they just didn't fit my budget :D. But if you're considering custom suits you're already in that range.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom