Yoke Light Any Good? Fathom pak a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

movieflick

Reaction score
I have a night dive coming up and was looking for some marker lights. I ran by a yoke light that seemed pretty cool but have not heard anyone talking about them. Anyone use these before? Do they work well? I don't want to point out any particular website so if you want to see what I am talking about just search "scuba yoke light" on your favorite search engine.

As for a dive light light setup, I was looking at the "Fathom Pak Light Set". Is this a good setup or can anyone else recommend a better beginner package?

Honestly ...I was disappointed in them. Bought ones for my wife and I to use on our last liveaboard trip. Ended up just going with cyalume sticks.

They do blink and if you are right behind the diver using one it can be seen. But if you are off to side, above or below that diver they tend to disappear.

Another issue I had with them was turning them off once I got back on board the boat. You activate/deactivate them by turning/twisting the colored globe. It is a threaded plastic disc and the threads aren't very deep. When you turn it counterclockwise to deactivate the light it is VERY easy to hit the last thread and the entire globe, circuit and battery pops out into your hands - just about went overboard in my case.

Anyway ...they seem like a good idea but don't work that well in practice - at least in my experience. If you decide to try them let me know. I'll sell you mine.

Just don't get any yoke lights that are white and bright. It may seem like a good idea at first, but it precludes you from getting to experience any bioluminescence.

"they seem like a good idea but don't work that well in practice" sums it up for me too. The threads are too short and there's too little difference between on, off, and flood - we flooded 3 of them. Junk imo.

As far as other lights, I would seriously consider buying LED lights at this point.

Yeah, pass on the Yoke Light, I'd say pass on any "beacon" type light, if you're buddy can't find you from your primary light beam, he ain't gonna find you with a glowing red stick.

I'd pass on the Fathom Pak, it's not the worst, but not ideal, IMO.

My suggestion is to find a used UK D8 or similar (they can be had for ~$40) or, if you can afford it, a Salvo Supply - Handheld 10 Watt HID or a Dive Rite Hand-held 10W HID Light I have a UK D8 and Salvo handheld as backup primary lights to my 21w

and buy an LED backup, the Dive Rite one has a couple different power modes and an emergency flash option: Dive Rite Back-Up Lights, a Q40 eLED, SL4 eLED or if you can afford it, a Salvo Rat light. I have both the Dive Rite LED and the Rat light and recommend them both.

The only thing I've found them good for was diver identification in a group. My last night dive was with two other buddy groups. By random luck, everyone save one had a different yoke light. Different colors, blinking and not blinking. It helped to know who you looking at w/o the need to use your light on them.

It also came in handy when we ran into another group to stay separated.

yes, beacons of whatever sort can be useful for identification, or to locate someone when they decide to turn off their light and enjoy the phospheresence or something. :wink: And I've run into the occasional operator that requires something on a night dive.

You don't say where you will be diving. If you are in clear water or will be traveling your light needs will be different than if you are diving in murk.

Damsel is right! You don,t mention anything about the conditions you'll be diving in! I bright HID light is great in murky water. But way overkill in the caribean!!! Give some info on your intended use and you'll get better feedback!:coffee:

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom