Different Hose Pressures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vel525

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so please feel free to move if it's in the wrong section. I ordered some new hoses and noticed that my new LP hose is different from my old LP hose. On my old one it says max psi is 400, however on the new hose it says max psi is 250. Is one type used for different applications? I always thought a LP hose was a LP hose. Does it matter? I have no idea how much psi come from the LP port of the first stage. Thanks.

Victor

Hi,

Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, so please feel free to move if it's in the wrong section. I ordered some new hoses and noticed that my new LP hose is different from my old LP hose. On my old one it says max psi is 400, however on the new hose it says max psi is 250. Is one type used for different applications? I always thought a LP hose was a LP hose. Does it matter? I have no idea how much psi come from the LP port of the first stage. Thanks.

Victor

Ah ha, the search is wonderful....I think I got one of my questions answered. It looks like the LP hose pressure is around 125psi, so I should be fine with the max of 250psi. I still feel safer with the max of 400psi :D

So is the new hose lighter or smaller in diameter? Beyond manufacturing economics, I wonder why there would be a difference...

It wouldn't surprise me if the hoses were more or less the same, but in recent years the manufacturers would post a lower max pressure to guard against being sued if the hose were to burst at, say, 300 PSI. Anyhow, unless you have a HP seat failure it's likely the hose will never see pressure higher than 150 PSI. If one of your 2nd stages is an unbalanced downstream (typical for an octo) it will act as a safety by freeflowing long before the hose would burst in the event of IP rising above normal.

For the most part it really boils down to the OEM for the hose from the manufacturer who offered it is currently making a hose with a burst rate that is lower then the previous. The hoses are tested and made to certain specifications by a commercial hose company. Each manufacturer makes their own deals for these so from manufacturer to manufacturer the ratings and markings you see on the hose can change.

The intermediate pressure you see in your hose is generally speaking between 135psi and and 145 psi for most regs on the market today. There are a few exceptions to this but even for those few, your hose with a 250psi rating is going to more than handle the pressure.

Thanks for the info. I thought maybe there would be some other application for the higher 400psi limit....guess not.

Thanks for the info. I thought maybe there would be some other application for the higher 400psi limit....guess not.

I expect there is, just not in a SCUBA set :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom