Need dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willwood

New
Reaction score
First of all, I normally hate posts like this on forums, there is usually a place already on the forum to find this.. but I rarely get on the internet so I don't have time to go searching around ..

Basically, just looking for a dive computer that can be downloaded onto a PC. My local dive shop doesn't know much about computers other than what they have for themselves, none of which can be downloaded.

Searching online, there's such a mess of info I don't understand, hard to tell if the transfer logs to computer fits in there somewhere.
Other than that, are they all basically doing the same thing?
All the ones I've seen basically tell you when you need to go up, the deepest depth, etc... everything you need to know or is there some you need to look out for missing important features I would want?

Go to ScubaToys and talk to Rick or Larry. They can hook you up without spending too much unnecessary money. I purchased an Aeris Atmos 2 from them and love it. The new one to that computer is the Aeris XR2.
Good luck in finding what you want.

:popcorn:

My two computers, the Suunto D9 and the Uwatec SmartCom are both downloadable. I think that option, along with gas integration and multi-gas capability, are the main practical differences between computers. Your decision will be based on these options, overall user-friendliness, and cost.

Look @ an Oceanic--in particular VEO 180NX or the 250 model.....both are reasonably priced, downloadable to a computer, & widely sold(easy to obtain)........good luck & let us know what you end up with.....

I use a nitek duo and love it. Hard to beat for the price!

The LeisurePro site has a good search capability that enables you to winnow the field based on several criteria (you may insist on user-replaceable batteries, for example). You can get a good idea of what you should be paying, as well.

Computers | Dive Computers at LeisurePro.com

Go with the Aeris XR-2 great computer download, nitrox capable easy to use.

I would Stay away from the Dive Rite Duo and Tusa IQ-700 I bought 2 of them and both had problems out of the box and one failed within 5 dives long story if you want PM me. They may have their problems fixed by now but, I would stay away from them. Just my opinion.

Edit: I purchased mine from Scubatoys no problems returning the defective ones and getting the replacements.

The Seiko based computers (Duo, IQ-700, etc) referred to in the privous post had problems when they first came out. Those problems have been cured over the years. You can get a good deal on one from scubatoys, they have very good support and prices. I own 2 of the Duo's. ( I wear them both in case a battery dies ) they were recommended by a number of tech divers and I've compared the NDL's in a variety of dives against the SUUTNO's. They both go into deco at almost the same points (within 60 secs of each other ) you also get 1 underwater gas switch if you ever do want to do deco dives. The numbers are easy to read, and the menu's are intuitive for the most part. The negatives are; the need to reset your O2 percentage every 24 hours when you start diving a gas mix other than 21% O2. It will default to 100% O2, which if you forget will set off the alarms when you get below 20ft. After doing it once I haven't ever forgotten again. The download cable is not optimal, it requires holding in place to do the file dumps. With the standard strap this may not be an issue, but I replaced mine with elastisised straps so it doesn't come loose as my wet suit compresses. The dive log software is not bad. I can't say what I'd add... One other note I don't think it's going to be Vista compatible if that effects you. I've contacted Dive Rite and they have responded that they would make the source public so it may wind up being Vista compatible.
I've also owned SUUNTO products, I can't say I was a happy customer with respect to thier depth sensors. If you do a search you'll see several threads dealing with thier problems. In saying that they have many many happy customers that have had trouble free operation from thier products. Thier download solutions are decent and there are non-SUUNTO logging software solutions available on the web.
I think for value the Duo is the best solution. You should be able to get one sub-$400, and the cable for ~$125 Hint: scubatoys Unless you just have to have the air integration feature. Then go for the D9.

They all will give you the basic dive info. Depth, time, nitrogen loading, and partial pressure of oxygen. Post dive you can access max depth, average depth, water temp, etc. Different ones use different algorithms for calculating nitrogen, so some are more conservative than others. The differences will be whether or not you want air or nitrox, the ability to switch between mixes and how many. Do you want air integrated, if so do you want it connected or wireless. Most can connect to a computer based log. Usually an extra fee for the software and cable.

I'll second Scubatoys. They have great service. I bought a Cressi Archimedes II. It's another Seiko computer like the Aeris. It's large and easy to read. It goes for under $400 usually and the cable is another $100. I'm happy with my choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom