Dive Report, Hydro, etc...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dorothy, I don’t think I’m in Washington State anymore.

Today I did my first warm water tech dive (if you don’t count 50 degrees in San Diego). On the dive before today (last Saturday) at home, the water temp was 38 degrees. Today it was 75 at depth, and 80 at the surface.

The first dive was on S. Fl. Divers’ pontoon boat. Twelve divers. Sheesh, I didn’t know there were tech cattle boats. :wink:

We arrived at the site and discovered a 3 knot current. No exaggeration, just over 3 knots. So the boat situated up-current and we dive-bombed down onto the wreck. Pretty good aim, our team came down just west of the wreck and we had to kick hard to not get swept by and miss it. The vis was fantastic, and we could see the wreck from 50’ as we descended. I‘d say we had 100’ vis. We really had to stay inside the holes, or lee of any structure to keep clear of the current.

What a fun wreck to dive. I went into some big openings, the engine room, bridge, etc., but there were absolutely some penetration potential holes that called to me. I was glad I’d brought my 21w HID for poking into the holes.

We drifted a long way from the wreck in the 3 knot current during deco.

Excellent dive.

My second dive on the Hydro was from a smaller boat (don’t remember the name), owned by Capt. Paul. This was obviously a spear fishing boat, and the other three divers were all diving single tanks with ponies, using air for backgas, and their only goal was to kill fish and send them up. Again, we dive-bombed the wreck, but we were much closer to it and really had to kick straight down quickly to hit it. The current actually seemed faster on the wreck (kicking into it could cost you a mask), but slower during deco. After deco, we surfaced 1.2 knots from the Hydro, so the deco speed was about 2.4 knots. During the 20’ stop, a nice sized bull shark circled around and by two of us, giving us something to enjoy as the minutes ticked by. After we boarded, more bull sharks circled below the boat, and we laid on the platform with masks on and our faces in the water watching them.

The 3 spear-dudes were skunked on the hydro, so they convinced Capt. Paul to make a stop on the way back at some old pier pilings and make a quick 60’ bounce dive (15 mins bottom time). I went along to watch, and again, they brought nothing back to the boat.

I’ve been filling at Air Express. Love those cave fills!! :D

Tomorrow morning I do the Lowrance. Here’s hoping the current is down, but the vis is just as good.

Will report...

Who are you diving with, Rick? Or are you soloing among the spearfishermen?

I read these reports again and again about divers being dropped into those kinds of currents, and I can never really imagine it. I guess if you can see the wreck from the surface, or shortly below, you can manage, but I always envision it like our murky green water, where trying to dive bomb a wreck in those currents might mean missing it by literally miles.

Was drift deco standard for the boat you were on? I ask because what I've read has suggested a lot of the tech boats expect you to come up the anchor line.

Fill in the gory, procedural details for those of us with 'satiable cursiosity, will you?

Rick, your in FL... 2 hours drive from me.. and I got a call your meeting me for dinner Sunday when???

Who are you diving with, Rick? Or are you soloing among the spearfishermen?

I read these reports again and again about divers being dropped into those kinds of currents, and I can never really imagine it. I guess if you can see the wreck from the surface, or shortly below, you can manage, but I always envision it like our murky green water, where trying to dive bomb a wreck in those currents might mean missing it by literally miles.

Was drift deco standard for the boat you were on? I ask because what I've read has suggested a lot of the tech boats expect you to come up the anchor line.

Fill in the gory, procedural details for those of us with 'satiable curiosity, will you?
Diving with insta-buddies on first dive (today also). Sending PM.

On the spearfishing boat, everyone was on their own.

Yes, the drift deco is the standard plan when the current is up. Everyone shoots a bag, and the boat runs around picking them up. I was told a story from one diver about waiting for an hour for the pickup.

Yes, you might miss the wreck, but you'd know it right away. And then the procedure is to bail out, send a bag right up and have the boat pick you up. And that would be it for your dive, most likely. One of the divers I was buddied with missed the Lowrance on a prior dive. That would be a bummer. It costs me rental tanks - doubles and stage- plus trimix, deco gas and the boat trip (including Priscilla as a rider), about $180.00 for the one dive. I would sure hate to miss the drop. So you'd better have your descent procedure act together. No wasting time doing S-drills or ear clearing problems or you're hosed.

Yes, you drift for MILES. Every once in a while we could hear the boar zipping around us during deco, just keeping an eye on us and letting us know it was there.

You don't see the wreck from the surface when it's that deep (todays dive is 200'). You head down quickly and hope that the capt. dropped you in the right place and that you're descending quickly enough. We were briefed to face INTO the current as we dropped and let the current help push you down.

This is not like diving the cold, green water of Puget Sound, or our even colder and darker local lakes. There is so much less gear and bulk to deal with, and the warm clear water is very reef-snorkel-comforting. 150' feels the same as 50', and I kept thinking that the level of seriousness was deceptively hidden by the ease of the conditions.

Rick, your in FL... 2 hours drive from me.. and I got a call your meeting me for dinner Sunday when???
PM sent!

Contnued...

Dived the Lowrance this morning. Seas were calm (just a little chop) and the current was down to 1.5 knots. The Capt. put the boat over the wreck and shouted, "Jump!" and in we went. And dropped down right on top of the wreck.

Great wreck. Those giant openings are fun to explore. There is the front end of some kind of vehicle (a jeep maybe) sticking out under a pile of ship rubble. I went as deep down into the wreck as I could, stuck my wrist on the bottom of the hull and hit 196'. I think that the only way to hit the advertised 200' is outside in the sand.

Today's vis was about 75'. Did an easy drifting deco and climbed back into the boat. It was that easy.

Here was my dive:
Dec to 200ft (4) Triox 21/35 50ft/min descent.
Level 200ft 16:00 (20) Triox 21/35 1.48 ppO2, 97ft ead, 118ft end
Asc to 110ft (23) Triox 21/35 -30ft/min ascent.
Stop at 100ft 1:00 (24) Triox 21/35 0.85 ppO2, 41ft ead, 53ft end
Stop at 90ft 1:00 (25) Triox 21/35 0.78 ppO2, 35ft ead, 47ft end
Stop at 80ft 1:00 (26) Triox 21/35 0.72 ppO2, 30ft ead, 40ft end
Stop at 70ft 2:00 (28) Nitrox 50 1.56 ppO2, 32ft ead
Stop at 60ft 1:00 (29) Nitrox 50 1.41 ppO2, 26ft ead
Stop at 50ft 2:00 (31) Nitrox 50 1.26 ppO2, 20ft ead
Stop at 40ft 3:00 (34) Nitrox 50 1.10 ppO2, 13ft ead
Stop at 30ft 4:00 (38) Nitrox 50 0.95 ppO2, 7ft ead
Stop at 20ft 13:00 (51) Oxygen 1.60 ppO2, 0ft ead
Surface (51) Oxygen -30ft/min ascent.

That's it for my Florida tech diving. The remainder of my dives will be recreational, including one day on the Spiegel Grove.

Warm water, great vis, interesting dives... that's what vacation diving is all about, right? So far, south Florida is everything that's advertised (although I have yet to do just a reef dive, so i can't speak to the reefs).

Oh, more more thing. I finally met in person our illustrious SB owner Pete, along with Howard and Marvel. But that's another story... :eyebrow:

Nice report! The number in (x) is the time spent at the deco stop, correct?

Danny

Nice report! The number in (x) is the time spent at the deco stop, correct?

Danny

No, that number is the runtime of the dive.
He did a 4 minute descent to 200' spent 16 minutes there, then a 3 minute ascent to 110', etc.
He was back on the surface in 51 minutes.

No, that number is the runtime of the dive.
He did a 4 minute descent to 200' spent 16 minutes there, then a 3 minute ascent to 110', etc.
He was back on the surface in 51 minutes.

Thanks for the clarification! I was thinking...."Damn, he did some LONG deco stops for that depth!"

Total run time makes a whole lot more sense.

Danny

... you really are nuts! :wink:

Yeah, that seems to be an area of universal agreement.

Ya know, those salt water dudes sure have to wash their gear off a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom