getting fills question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ok well this really isn't a question, rather its something about and just wanted to get opinions on it.

A guy with a tank with a NITROX sticker on it, goes into a dive shop and requests an air fill. The dive shop says sure, but first we have to remove your nitrox stickers and VIP your tank.

Any opinions on this?

Oh yeah... I got opinions!

They have no valid reason to VIP the tank and/or remove the nitrox sticker.

Now if you brought in a tank without the sticker and wanted them to put nitrox in it then I can see them whinning about needing to sticker the tank (but unless they are PP blending no need for an additional VIP.)

Anyway... those are my opinions.

That I can think of....why would they care...it's like a bumber sticker at that point

It would be a good reason for me not to return to the shop

Now if it was the other way around....guy with no markings for Nx wanting EANx 32....I would understand issues....especially if the shop does partial pressure blending....but most places bank 32 & 36. A good shop will have whatever banked, then if you ask for something other than what they've got...they should be able to blend on the spot...but don't expect them to be happy. Also, you should not have to leave your tank there overnight.

O.K....I'm done now...

Does the tank only have a "nitrox" sticker, or does it have some kind of marking showing what type of mix can be put in (e.g. O2 clean sticker for 100% O2)?

I guess my question is, is the sticker just say "nitrox only", or does it show a proper cleaning was done for the type of fill the shop does?

rusty

Was there a valid VIP sticker on the tank to begin with? I hate going to get a fill and have them tell me that the VIP just ran out.

Let's say the tank is marked O2 clean on the VIP sticker and it has one of those wrap around nitrox stickers on it.

so long as the vip is current and the only nitrox marking is a wrap-around bumber sticker, they have no ligit reason to gripe.

I mean every shop has the right to refuse service to anyone...but if they are serious about wanting to VIP a tank b/c it has a goddam sticker on it...find another shop.

If they are filling their scuba tanks with clean filtered with "oxygen compatible" air then a Nitrox tank can be filled with "regular air" with no need to re-vip or remove any certifications.

If they use lower quality/less filtered air that contains contaminants, then I could see where they would feel obligated to remove the O2 certification and nitrox stickers, but then you just shouldn't go to that place to get an airfill.

I think I would be asking to see their air quality testing certificate. I would wonder if the air they are selling meets the nitrox standards.

If they put dirty air in that would contaminate the tank for later fills. Maybe they know that.

Second thought is maybe they are afraid that someone is trying to blend thier own and using them for air. Instead of testing the mix before filling they have a blanket policy for all nitrox tanks.

eithor way I would find another fill station.

Hallmac

Oh, and if someone has a tank without a Nitrox sticker/O2 clean certification and requests nitrox fill with po of 40 or lower, if the shop does some sort of pre-mix and pure O2 never enters the tank, there is no "technical" reason why it can't be done, but there certainly are "common practice" and possibly regulatory/legal reasons why it won't happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom