Galileo Sol - Very Long Deco - Usual?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_Negligent_Snail

Registered
Reaction score
UK - In the murky waters of the South Coast
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, I have had my Sol since November and it has been back once as the Air Integration failed.

Now I think I may have another problem and need your help –

Friday I was with a buddy who was using a Suunto D9. Both he and my Sol were on minimum conservatism. (L0 on the Sol).

The dive was to 32.6m for a bottom time of 30 mins and we were using 31% EANX.
Now, here is the strange thing – His Suunto gave 4 mins deco. My Sol gave 17 minutes!! (Don’t forget, same profile, same gas) and even then it wanted me to do another 3 min safety stop!

I have no run the profile through some deco planners and come back with an average of approx 9 mins deco but nowhere near 17!

The dive was not strenuous. It was not stressful, just a fairly normal dive. Average of 19m (dont forget though, this was after 17 mins of deco).

My questions are has anyone else been surprised at the amount of deco the Sol has thrown at them? And do you have any examples of the deco time it has given you for similar depth/gas

(My feelings were that the Sol had somehow reverted back to air but it seems to have logged 31% in the download).

Thanks all.

That does seem really odd. I have a Suunto D9 that I wear as a back-up to my Sol, and to get it to have a similar performance, I have to knock the D9 on to 50% RGBM. Then they give pretty much the same NDL or deco, but leave it on 100% and it gets ridiculous – 20 minutes of deco on the D9 and 3 minutes remaining of NDL on the Sol on one repetitive dive in the Red Sea recently.

It does look like it maybe went back to air, but can't see how, unless it has some glitch. Something definitely amiss – in all the dives I did on the Sol BETA test unit and now on my genuine unit I have never had anything happen like this.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Dived the Sol again on Thursday evening, Twice at Vobster Friday and again Saturday with no problems...however;

My D6 that I have been wearing as a backup and to compare deco obligations has now gone US - it now will not enter anything but "Dive Off" or "Dive Gauge" - No dive air or Ean at all.

Computers - who needs them? (Ratio Deco anyone??)

I just ran your profile with V-Planner set to conservatism +3 and came up with 16 mins of deco. Ran the same dive on Free Planner on the Mac at +2 and came up with almost identical deco profiles.
My VR3 will sometimes give me more deco than my tables, but usually because I have overstayed or went too deep.
Safe Dives
Charlie

I don't know if it works the same as the Smart Tec, but ascent rate violations, even on previous dives will cause it to adjust it's conservatism. This makes sense with cwkline's post.

TwoBit

The Uwatec will adjust to 1)breathing and 2)coldness and 3)surface profile(it was developed for mountain diving in the beautifull swiss alps:)). 4) Missed deco, 5)fast ascent and 6) surface shunt will affect deco on current dive and comming dives.

In general Suunto tend to be a bit more conservative than Uwatec but this is not true in all conditions.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom