MA. boat owners - $.21/gal. gas tax refund

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GradyDiver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I searched the forum and didn't find this, so I'm sorry if it has already been covered.

Many of you may already know this, but for those who don't, here is a way for boat owners to get some of your money back from the state. You need to strictly adhere to the instructions, but it does work, I have received a check for this before. You will need to get a receipt with your reg. numbers and the refund must be filed within 6 months of purchase. It may not amount to much, but at least its something.

Here is a link to the form:
http://www.mass.gov/Ador/docs/dor/Forms/MiscForm/PDFs/GT_9M.pdf

If the form is moved or if you need another form from the state, here is a link to the Forms Index:
Online Forms Index

I hope this helps take a little of the sting away this boating season.

Last edited:
I searched the forum and didn't find this, so I'm sorry if it has already been covered.

Many of you may already know this, but for those who don't, here is a way for boat owners to get some of your money back from the state. You need to strictly adhere to the instructions, but it does work, I have received a check for this before. You will need to get a receipt with your reg. numbers and the refund must be filed within 6 months of purchase. It may not amount to much, but at least its something.

Here is a link to the form:
http://www.mass.gov/Ador/docs/dor/Forms/MiscForm/PDFs/GT_9M.pdf

If the form is moved or if you need another form from the state, here is a link to the Forms Index:
Online Forms Index

I hope this helps take a little of the sting away this boating season.

Thanks for that, Grady! Anything helps now-a-days!!
How did you do the receipts? Just write your reg #, etc on the credit card gas pump receipt, or did you have to get a special receipt from the clerk? signed, etc? What is the 'preprinted with a minimum three digit number' mean on the requirements?

Thanks for the help!
kk

I'm suspicious about the receipt requirements too. Few gas stations have receipts that show all the information they require. I'm about to send in my first batch, but I suspect I will get denied due to the receipt requirements. In fact, I don't have a single fuel receipt that lists my name, just the last 4 digits of the cc for example.

To provide a bit of perspective, $250 in fuel (68g) will result in a $2.56 refund. At the end of the season you might get a $10 or $20 refund for your effort.

The .21 refund p/gal. added up to $14.28, this was offset by the 5% "Use Tax" amounting to $11.72. The Use Tax is deducted from the excise tax refund :\

Anything is something but not really worth the trouble for most recreational boaters.

Ahh, yes, upon further investigation, I noticed the 5% 'use tax' as well - that just about offsets the refund... hardly worth it for $2 per fill up, especially if you have to get additional receipts. Let us know how you make out, Matt. :shakehead:

How did you do the receipts? Just write your reg #, etc on the credit card gas pump receipt, or did you have to get a special receipt from the clerk? signed, etc? What is the 'preprinted with a minimum three digit number' mean on the requirements?kk

To be honest, I haven't done this in three years (my boat wasn't running well and I had a lot going on). I am planning to try again this year though. Since my boat is in the water all summer, I fill up at a gas dock and have them put the reg. number on the slip. I believe their information is printed on the slip too. For a gas station, you would probably need the slip showing their address and then have to write your reg. number. Another requirement (that I haven't followed) is that you need to track fill ups in any other vehicles. In my case, the new boat has a >100 gal. fuel tank, my truck only takes ~23 gals. I think I can explain away my typical fill up (50 or more gals.) and the location (the truck doesn't float).

It may not be a lot, but with my previous 20' boat with 60 gal. tank and 150 outboard, when I had been actively using it each weekend, I got a check for ~$80. I think it took me about 30 minutes to put it all together. That's certainly enough for a nice dinner with my wife or several fills.

We can all report on our success/failure late in/after the boating season.

Why does Massachusetts issue this refund? It doesn't make sense to reduce the price for recreational use. I am old enough to remember the gas rationing of the 1970's and I also recall that "pleasure boats" were exempt and it bugged me then.

Also, can anyone tell me if there is a difference in price or taxation between a marine gasd station and a regular gas station? I notice a lot of boats at our local gas stations on weekend mornings and its a bit of a painh because of the amount of time they take to pump all that gas!

Why does Massachusetts issue this refund?

I believe this is actually a road tax. Since boats aren't used on or causing wear and tear to the roads (unless they're doing something terribly wrong - then they probably only get to do it once (per boat)), they're exempt.

Also, can anyone tell me if there is a difference in price or taxation between a marine gasd station and a regular gas station? I notice a lot of boats at our local gas stations on weekend mornings and its a bit of a painh because of the amount of time they take to pump all that gas!

I don't believe there is a difference in tax, but the price at the pump is certainly different. Last weekend, 87 octane was ~$4.50/gal. It generally runs $.75-$1.00 more at the gas dock. Also, there are usually only 2 pumps at the dock per grade versus 8 or more at many gas stations. Combine that with the fact that many boaters aren't comfortable operating in a crowd of boats (waiting for gas at the dock) and you can see why many swing through the station.

If my boat was on a trailer, I'd be at the regular gas station just to save $50-$100 per fill.

It may not be a lot, but with my previous 20' boat with 60 gal. tank and 150 outboard, when I had been actively using it each weekend, I got a check for ~$80. I think it took me about 30 minutes to put it all together. That's certainly enough for a nice dinner with my wife or several fills.

Wow... I don't see how I could ever get even close to that much... Here's what I was looking at - just filled last w/e - 80 gallons. $0.21 refund/gal = $16.80. but when you take 80gal x $3.69/gal= $295.20 x5% 'use tax' =subtract $14.76, so my whooping refund for a complete fill is $2.04!!!:11: If I fill enough to get an $80 refund, or even half that, I won't need to worry about the receipts, 'cause my wife would have already killed me...:(:11:

oh well... it was a good thought...
Massachusetts giving a tax break.... :rofl3:

Thanks for the info. Good point about operating in a crowd of boats, I can see that its not so easy to wait in line.
Just curious - what sort of mileage do boats get on gasoline? I'm guessing that your tanks hold 50 or more gallons. Is that because fueling is inconvienent or do they use lots of gas vs cars?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom