Ft. Pickens Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Washed down the "Wet Work" and took her out to Pensacola last night. The bay was smooth, and there was almost no boat traffic. There was some lightning off to the North that menaced us, but we missed the worst of the storms.

We dove about 2 hours after low tide, and vis started off at 1-5'. The current was ripping, and jellies were abundant. There was a nice thermocline, but it was not too sharp, and was pleasant for the most part. The current kicked up a tad bit more, and we made a slightly short safety stop before returning to the boat for snacks and such. During the dive we saw an electric ray, a few puffers, a friendly cowfish, and a few other asorted critters.

On the second dive, we not only had to fight the current (which had improved a tad), but we also had to dodge a truckload of jellies, and watch out for urchins that had made an appearance. Vis was slightly better, perhaps 10 feet. The phrosperous was showing well near the surface, but the bottom was so churned up I couldn't really see any at depth. We saw more puffers, plus a moderate-sized octo, and a small octo as well.

I can't understate the rough conditions. I know we were diving at a bad time, but the current, and poor viz made for a dive that was very challenging. Still, it beats the crap out of working :D

IMG_03512.jpg

IMG_03726.jpg

IMG_03741.jpg

IMG_03732.jpg

Nice Pics. I've been wanting to do a night dive at the Fort Pickens as well. Looks like it was a nice dive.

Nice Pics. I've been wanting to do a night dive at the Fort Pickens as well. Looks like it was a nice dive.

I'd say wait for the tides to be right (high slack). While I enjoyed it very much, it was a difficlut dive. I was with someone who knew the area, and that made up a little for the rough conditions.

Edit:

These guys are just too cool. Check out the dual camo job:
octopus1c.jpg

Last edited:
Great report!

Fort Pickens is one of the only jetties sites that I'll dive between tides. It can get sporty, but its negotiable most of the times.

the current, and poor viz made for a dive that was very challenging. Still, it beats the crap out of working :D

Geez Man...What kind of work do you do?:wink:

Geez Man...What kind of work do you do?:wink:

something a bit more stressful than a lo-viz night dive on a jetty at the wrong time while dodging truckloads of jellyfish, electric torpedo rays, bloodthirsty sea urchins and alcoholic 14 year old boat operators :wink:

plus, I don't get to see octopusses at work :tongue2:

So you do all that to relieve stress? What do you do to relax? Lie on a bed of rusty nails? :D

I cant wait for that road to open back up. Ft. Pickens will be my new home away from home.

Back
Top Bottom